rEvo Sold To Mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gents:

I don't agree with the way REVO training has been handled either but calling it a monopoly is a bit of a stretch. The term monopoly implies that the populace is forced to buy goods or services from one "supplier" without the possible cost benefit of dealing with a competitor.....ie: free market. However this is a sport and an expensive one that is strictly voluntary, so the populace is forced to buy nothing a small segment of the populace choose to buy. There are over 10 rebreather manufacturers today that any of us that voluntarily participate in this sport can freely deal with.

Again this isn't a monopoly in fact its far from it.

Florida is an interesting state while it does in fact rank as 3rd in terms of population when it comes to mean income it falls to 37th in the nation yet its among the most popular places to be trained on a rebreather. This obviously suggests that there's a hug influx of "tourists" that choose to be trained in Florida. I think force feeding these students to one particular shop/instructor would be a mistake but even thats not happening here.

John Adsit: You bring up an interesting point about renting vs. buying and how that would disqualify you from teaching. That specific point is nonsense so whoever told you that is wrong. Even if you signed a deal with that condition it would be totally unenforceable in court. The issue would be residency so if you rented, bought or squatted within the State of Florida for 51% of the year (assuming that you had 2 homes) you would be a Florida resident and that could violate a territorial deal with a competitor.

I was trained to dive my Revo in Florida as a NY resident by a resident of NJ and that didn't violate any existing agreement, its done all of the time.

Standard Oil was a monopoly, whats happening with REVO within the State of Florida is far from it.

Cheers.

Let us hope for continued innovation. I personally love my rEvo's they are a great diving you and have served me well. No nothing is perfect but at the end of the day Paul built a good rebreather. Let us hope that MARES will let the rEvo keep the things that keep them great and not try to imitate other mainstream manufactures. Only time will tell what the future has for the unit.

"Not if you live in South Florida. Training should be open to ANY qualified instructor ANYWHERE. All it does is to force those instructors to teach other CCRs."

Disagree with that one Net Doc, especially when it comes to Tec rebrather instructors. I think Paul had the right idea regarding his instructor policy, if more manufactures and training agencies adopted his policy the level of instructor competence would be maintained at much higher standard. At least with rEvo you were assured a quality instructor, making a Blue Grotto type incident even more unlikely.

Not so sure I agree re: quality of instruction. At least using this "class" as an example.

Back
Top Bottom