Getting in to the "business"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impilcature

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been a lurker for a while. Recently I was presented with an "apprenticeship" that fell through because I had to move. I would really like to share the experience of diving with other people. I work in a kind of civil service job now so I don't need to make a million dollars and dive instructing really appeals to me. I would like to know a rough frame of getting in to the business. Currently I am rescue (PADI) certified and I am interested in progressing. I have not experienced NAUI certs so I plan on pursuing those. The brand of the course does not concern me as long as the students get the concepts and life application of the material.

Where do I start?

Figure out where you would like to be an instructor (near where you live?) and find out what kind of opportunities are available for new instructors. Becoming an instructor requires a fair amount of investment of time and money. I've seen people get very excited about teaching scuba, go through all the courses to become an instructor, and then find out the shops in their area aren't hiring.

Local shops should be upfront with you about the prospect of you being able to work as an instructor, as it's in their best interest as well as yours. And talk to local instructors about the pros and cons of teaching scuba in your area.

If you're already working on your DM course, you might want to consider working as a DM for a while, assisting with classes. This way you can gain practical experience before you put out the money for an instructor course. Some people become DMs, find that it's very rewarding, and never feel the need to go further.

As YLe stated find out what opportunities there is near home that would be a fit for yourself.
If you plan to teach out of a LDS then take you DM class there and make gear purchases there. Demonstrate to them that you are a team player and can work well with others. Research what the pay is and see for yourself if it is worth it for yourself and how long it would take to make up what it costs to become an instructor and to pay dues and insurance. You do not want your expenses to be more than what you pay out.
As to going with NAUI , that is fine, IF the job opportunities are for that agency.
Not too many NAUI facilities in the NY area, most are PADI, so the chance of getting a chance for NAUI classes very limited. I can only think of 1 NAUI facility in NYC, Bklyn, and they only run a class maybe once every 6 to 8 weeks. I am sure there maybe others, none that I know of.
We are just outside NYC , Yonkers NY, and have multiple classes running ever week. Private mostly during the week, and group classes on weekends.

Thanks for all the replies.

After doing some research and looking at the amount of time I can put I have decided to do basically what yle and oly have said.

1. Get in to the local dive scene ( I just moved here during the winter)
2. If I like to crowd and can find an instructor I like I will divemaster for him for about a year before making a decision

Factors that led to this reasoning.

I am in the Military so I move every 3 years (it is usually near H2O.)
My wife told me no
not a lot of time to devote to the cause right now
I feel like I need more experience to the tune of at least 2 more years or 100 more dives.

I agree with you and both replies. I can say that Scuba NY in Yonkers has always done well by me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom