Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One reason to buy a computer soon is that almost all dive ops abroad require you to dive with a computer (rental from them or your own). Since computers are definitely more complicated to use than your average rental BC or Regulator, and it might be a good idea to understand the numbers its telling you, buy one of those.

The first things I bought were a mask (good fit guaranteed), a snorkel (for snorkeling, not really diving), and a computer. Would have bought fins, but generally borrowed those from family members for the first while.

We (my girlfriend and I) then both got the rest in one go. Exposure suit was the most important for her (she never fits rentals well, I never really had issues), I really wanted a BP/W and a good reg set to match. Since we had booked a big trip to Indo, and rental estimate for the trip would have been about 300 euros, and the fact we have been diving a lot more recently and are planning a trip to Bonaire in the fall/winter, well, it made financial sense. And I like new toys.

I am a few open water dives away from becoming NAUI certified and I am having so much fun, My wife and I know we want to continue diving.

Question for more seasoned divers:
Where should I spend my first thousand dollars?
Where will I see the most noticeable improvements in comfort and enjoyment that will go beyond rental gear?

I bet dive shops salivate when a new diver walks in and says "where should I spend my first thousand dollars" :wink:

I wouldn't think in terms of how much money to spend, I would really think in terms of "what do I need now to enjoy diving" and "do I know enough to make an informed purchase". Posting here is a good way to start learning. Just keep in mind that everyone's opinion is just that...an opinion, and that dive shops (and those posting here on their behalf) are in it to sell gear, mostly to new divers such as yourself.

I haven't read this whole thread, and there are many, many like it if you search. You could do a lot of reading if you wanted to. But in general, I would advise any new diver to start with an exposure suit that's best for the diving you will be doing; maybe a 3mil wetsuit for tropical vacations, maybe a 7 mil or even drysuit for cold water diving if that's what you will be doing. There is no question that a good fitting exposure suit matched to the water temps you're in will do more for your comfort and enjoyment of diving than any other piece of gear. So get that first.

The dive computer is a decent idea, depending on where you're diving. It's most useful for multi level diving and repetitive dives, so at someplace like a caribbean live-above or resort it's almost mandatory to have a computer. But it definitely does not need to be anything fancy; just get a simple wrist computer for a reasonable price. They all more-or-less do the same thing. There's no need for air integration or a lot of extraneous data. The algorithms differ from brand to brand, but as a new diver there is essentially zero reason to choose one over another; they're all proven safe. If they weren't, there would be lawsuits galore.

I know quite a bit about how regulators work, and I can tell you that the various brands and models also more-or-less do the same thing, which is lower tank pressure to ambient pressure so it's easy to breathe. There's a LOT of hype in regulator sales. You don't spend too much or get hng up on any particular brand. There are some high performance regs that do breathe very smoothly, but even the entry level models from the major manufacturers do a perfectly fine job. The important thing is to get something that you can get serviced conveniently.

The BC is probably best left for when you have a little more experience. There are different types and they do feel significantly different in the water. You can best evaluate which type works for when you have some buoyancy control and awareness of your trim, and you can only evaluate them in the water. How a BC feels in street clothes in the dive shop is totally meaningless. Unfortunately, most dive shops only carry jacket BCs and some back inflate models that have a lot of padding and excess straps, buckles, etc. To me the best is a very simple backplate with a small wing and one piece webbing harness. But there are many opinions that are different.

Someone early in the thread suggested spending your money on diving, and honestly I could not agree more. A few dive trips to a beautiful location with clear, warm water and lots of marine life is a GREAT way to get started diving. Most resorts have good quality rental gear, except you really should get your own wetsuit so that it fits perfectly.

Most people go through several sets of gear until they find what is perfect for them. It took me a bit, but I've finally got to the point where I really don't feel like I need anything else. As others have said, dive a bunch and use different rental equipment until you find stuff you like.

One reason to buy a computer soon is that almost all dive ops abroad require you to dive with a computer (rental from them or your own). Since computers are definitely more complicated to use than your average rental BC or Regulator, and it might be a good idea to understand the numbers its telling you, buy one of those.

The first things I bought were a mask (good fit guaranteed), a snorkel (for snorkeling, not really diving), and a computer. Would have bought fins, but generally borrowed those from family members for the first while.

We (my girlfriend and I) then both got the rest in one go. Exposure suit was the most important for her (she never fits rentals well, I never really had issues), I really wanted a BP/W and a good reg set to match. Since we had booked a big trip to Indo, and rental estimate for the trip would have been about 300 euros, and the fact we have been diving a lot more recently and are planning a trip to Bonaire in the fall/winter, well, it made financial sense. And I like new toys.

Mattia,

That is the biggest thing for us, is we like our toys and gear as well. I rented for my NAUI class, but my wife bought all her gear, including a computer. I have purchased everything minus reg, computer. Will be renting as the ones I really want are a few paychecks away and I am going to West Palm Beach next week.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge appreciated. Wife and I just wrapped up our final dives today and are now NAUI certified! We are excited and rewarded ourselves with a dive trip to West Palm Beach.

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge appreciated. Wife and I just wrapped up our final dives today and are now NAUI certified! We are excited and rewarded ourselves with a dive trip to West Palm Beach.
Congratulations to both of you.

Hope you have many happy safe dives together.

Good question... good thread. It's nice to see both husband and wife get involved together as well. Good for you!

My choice? A PDC (Personal Dive Computer). There are so many great ones out there and I love wireless air integrated PDCs. Use your PDC as a tool to check out how you're doing your dives, your ascents, your safety stops and so on. It will give you unbiased feed back. Be sure to learn all it's features and how to use it. Don't let it intimidate you.

Then, the BC is the most critical piece in establishing trim and neutral buoyancy. Fit and comfort are incredibly important. I prefer a BC with a crotch strap and integrated weights. I'm not a fan of a BP&Wing for recreational diving and have gone to a hybrid (Hunter Pac or Express Tech).

The next thing would be my regulator. There are sooooo many great ones out there. Expensive? Cheap? Get one that you're comfortable with in terms of price and features.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN! Don't buy a bunch of gear and not have the funds to go dive it. Get it wet! Post pictures of you getting it wet, which means you'll have to but a camera like a GoPro so you can share your fun. Hopefully, you have a great credit card! :D :D :D

Build a fire pit. Scuba gear tends to make one burn thru money.

EDIT: Or build an addition onto the house, because dive gear takes up a lot of space and creeps up on you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom