Help with fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello. My husband has had to have part of his foot amputated. his whole forefoot is gone. His first trip back into the water was a nightmare. With one or two kicks, his foot would pop out of his fin and spin around on his ankle. He became very frustrated with this. We use the twin jet fins. He has springs on his so he decided to try mine with regular straps. Same thing happened with mine. Reaching out to the scuba community for advice. Giving up diving is not an option. Thank you in advance for your help

He may need to go to a smaller fin on that foot. The other option may be a set of Force Fins. Force Fin: SCUBA Fins

The twin jets are big fins. They have a lot of surface area on the blades. A smaller paddle fin with less surface area may also help.

One other thing is that he may need to change his kick to one using less power. It sounds like that is a big part of the issue. He's kicking so hard that there is just too much resistance from the surface area of the fin. Not enough stability in the foot pocket to counteract that.

Consider contacting Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba (SUDS), SUDS Diving | Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba | SUDS Diving.
Since they deal with disabled soldiers involved in scuba diving, I bet there are few injuries they have not dealt with, and can put you in touch with someone that can give you the first person advice that you need. They also may be able to connect you with someone in your local area that can help with your husband's special requirements. I am glad to hear that he is not willing to give up scuba, and I am certain there are people with the expertise that will help find the best way for him to continue diving. Best wishes for you and your husband.

Has he tried full foot fins? They have a foot pocket that is usually a much snugger fit than open heel fins. Maybe something with smaller blades and/or wear a prosthetic extension to fill the foot pocket? I know if they can attach a fin to a dolphin that had its entire tail amputated there is no reason why a fin can't be made to fit your husbands foot. Contacting SUDS is an excellent idea. Good luck and don't give up!

Last edited:
Don't let him give up diving! Another option might be to use a single, large, full foot freedive fin on his good foot.

We sell a variety of freedive fins ranging from inexpensive to high end. If he would like to experiment, I would be happy to offer to sell a single fin for half the price of a pair. If it doesn't work out, I will accept a return.

If you or he would like to order "half a pair" please give us a call during normal business hours and we will make it happen. Good luck and keep diving.

Fins

Thanks

Dano

A monofin may even be an option. It may be awkward for scuba but you never know until you try. They look really cool too.

Back
Top Bottom