Scuba Club Cozumel Cenote Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Klaus at Playa Scuba is also very good

That's who we use.

We know where the shop is and can get ourselves there from the ferry, but the first time we went they had someone meet us at the ferry to guide us to the shop (not far) where we did some paperwork, discussed plans, and loaded up the truck.

You'll probably want to hire a triciclero for your gear unless you're a big fan of lugging it.

Dos Ojos is fun. Don't go off the line.

Stopping at Tacos el Arbolito on the way there is a big part of the fun, as is stopping at Taco Paco on the way back.

Just as an explanation...

There is nothing between a cavern dive and a cave dive. It is either a cavern dive or a cave dive. It is a little more complicated than this, but if you are in a cavern and all the lights go out, you can still see the light from an exit. When you cross from the cavern zone to the cave zone, you will not longer be able to see the light from any exit. The complication is that in some cenotes, there may be more than one exit, so you can pass from one cavern zone to another. You may be confused because in some cavern diving excursions, when you start the dive you will still have air between the top of the water and the top of the cavern..At that point you are technically not in the cavern yet. It is still an open water dive.

Thanks for the explanation. This makes a lot of sense. I think there were a few places where we went from one cavern to another cavern or even from a cavern to open water.

The popular cavern dives will have a cavern line that your guide will follow. You are supposed to stay very close to that line. Some of the caves will have the grim reaper signs warning you to go no farther--those are made by the NSS-CDS (National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section). Others will have the stop sign warning from the NACD (National Association of Cave Divers). You absolutely do not want to go past those signs, no matter how tempting it might seem to sneak off and take a peak. It is easy to sneak off and take that peak, but it might not be so easy to find your way back.

That was incredibly obvious to me. As I went through the cavern zone I always felt the lights we had added to the ambient light. When we came upon a grim reaper sign I wasn't shining my light behind the sign and it was pitch black. I could easily see that direction was total darkness. I was also there a few weeks after a tourist died in a cave. I find it amazing that after the talk the guide gave us and just looking into the darkness how anyone could think going in there without the proper training was a good idea.

I would agree with Dan G. Blue Life is great. Yes, you can use your own gear. If you decide to do
Dos Ojos then the closest cenote would be El Pit, I would do El Pit first and Dos Ojos as the second.
They are very different dives El Pit cavern part will go below 100' with a large overhead opening.
Dos Ojos is a fairly shallow dive that really becomes 2 dives if you surface in the Batcave. Your computer
will probably reset while you watch the bats. Be careful you will want to become a sidemount caver.
The_Pit_Map.jpeg
DOS_OJOS.jpg

Here are maps of both.
DOS_OJOS_BAT_CAVE.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while since I posted. Thank you all for the input, its a tremendous help. I have some research to do, but my gut feeling was to put together my own "excursion" day. I have lots of time so I will look into all the great recommendations and come up with a plan.

Much appreciated, that's why I love SB folks!

I think that the cenote that I will never do again is called Chac Mool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom