S550 or delta 4.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Wright

Registered
Reaction score
I have a s550 from when I was first certified. I thought it was lost but I found it when sorting through my old gear.

I recently got a really good deal on a fdx10 with the delta 4.2

I also have a mk 20 that was paired with the 550.

I am trying to decide what to keep and or upgrade and what to set aside.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

JW

very different regs. what are you wanting to do long term in your diving, why do you think you need to upgrade from either of those regs, and why not keep both?

I have the scubapro because I wanted to look cool and was told it was good. My memory is not as good as it once was but I think it breathed fine. The oceanic I got for 100 bucks and it had a service receipt. I have not used it.

I will mostly dive wrecks up to about 120 ft and then belize and cozumel or what ever else comes up on vacation.

I dove with a friend who spearfished. But I sucked at keeping up and did not feel comfortable enough to try myself. I would like to try now.

I can keep both and will get the mk20 and s550 serviced. Is there any upgrades I should consider?

Thanks-JW

I can keep both and will get the mk20 and s550 serviced. Is there any upgrades I should consider?

Thanks-JW

I believe, but not certain, that you can upgrade the MK20/S550 which I'd consider if true. I'd get all regulators checked and serviced anyways regardless of upgrade or not.

you only list a single first and single second stage, not what the whole set is

so pros and cons.
I don't like piston first stages because they require extra maintenance to seal if they can be sealed, and you have to be more diligent with them during cleaning after diving because important stuff is exposed. Nod to the FDX10
I much prefer swivel turrets, especially those with a port on the bottom for all primary first stages. Nod to the MK20 *they did have a recall for some stuff a while back though, so make sure when you take it in, that all recall work is done. I think it was just the washer between the yoke/din turret and the main body, but just have it checked out by a dedicated scubapro shop*

I think the S550 is going to be a better second stage, and while it can be upgraded to the S600, I don't think it's necessary *replacing plastic bits with metal bits*. You can use the Delta as a secondary with no problem and the second stages can bounce around to either first stage.

Personally, with this info available, I'd use the FDX10 first stage, with the S550 as primary, and Delta as secondary. Depending on if you have a scubapro secondary, and what it is, I may suggest that as your secondary, but for single tank diving, I think the FDX10 gets the nod from me because it is sealed which means you can pay a bit less attention to it, and if you're travelling it is smaller/lighter. Keep the MK20 because it has better hose routing imho and you may decide you prefer that. If the second stages and first stages are tuned properly, as a diver you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I'd use the FDX10 first stage, with the S550 as primary, and Delta as secondary.

Thank you, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

Now all I need is a decent air integrated computer and I am set.

Thanks again -JW

The SP MK20 is one of the most reliable with the highest performance first stages out there. I have had this specific first stage in rental/school fleet for years and it took every abuse it came its way without any issues. People go out of their way to use SP first stages especially in advanced type of diving (deep, currents, etc.) instead of the other way around. If I had the choice between this SP first stage and another brand/model, I wouldn't even give it a second thought about which one will be my primary first stage at all, MK20/25 will be it!!

except in this country where they are very rare to see being used in technical diving anymore, and no one goes out of their way to use them. note that I never said they were bad regs, just that the oceanic is sealed and much smaller so will travel better, on top of not having to worry about salt deposits.

That is the most exaggerated statement I have seen today. I don't know what survey you are using but SP MK25/S600 is the standard regulator for technical diving these days in the US and worldwide used by top technical dive instructors (you are not one of them). In the context of this post, technical diving is irreverent here and this isn't the issue now anyways. Again, the MK20/25 is one of the most reliable and best performance first stages in both technical and recreational diving out there and this issue about salt crystals is just pure BS. You take care of it just like other first stages and it will keep going. In fact, its sibling, the MK2+ first stage, is considered the dive center/school workhorse worldwide and it is one of the most reliable first stages out there.

I just can't believe that somebody would actually recommend an FDX10 over a MK20/25.

(Perhaps I should let all of my "celebrity" technical dive instructors in MA/NY/NJ know that their SP MK25/S600/A700 is out of vogue according to Mr. Tbone)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom