catalina vs luxfer 80's and 40's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMIR007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
hello everybody i decide to buy my first tanks 80's to use then for twins set and maybe later i move them to use with sidemount . i would also get some deco tanks 40's
the questions here is i have catalina and luxfer available in shops some hops says catalina are better for sidemount more streamline some says luxfer are more better for deco and twins set .
for anyone who try both please let me know what you think and which is best .
any advice opinion or information would be much appreciated
Regards

You have probably come across this video below. From what I hear, as long as you buy the standard version of either of these tanks (as opposed to older, more negative ones or "neutral"), the difference isn't very significant. I doubt it makes any real difference for backmounted doubles, since you will probably be wearing at least a couple of pounds of weight, and you can move it up or down as needed. For sidemount, it is not good for tanks to be very butt-floaty, but as you can see, they both very much suck in this regard, so regardless of which ones you buy, you will have to compensate for their butt-floatiness by trimming tanks during the dive,using sliding D-rings or some such contraption. So, it probably doesn't matter that much, anyway. I went with Luxfers.

You have probably come across this video below. From what I hear, as long as you buy the standard version of either of these tanks (as opposed to older, more negative ones or "neutral"), the difference isn't very significant. I doubt it makes any real difference for backmounted doubles, since you will probably be wearing at least a couple of pounds of weight, and you can move it up or down as needed. For sidemount, it is not good for tanks to be very butt-floaty, but as you can see, they both very much suck in this regard, so regardless of which ones you buy, you will have to compensate for their butt-floatiness by trimming tanks during the dive,using sliding D-rings or some such contraption. So, it probably doesn't matter that much, anyway. I went with Luxfers.

thank you for your reply
what i hear from people is the opposite of this video
they sai for sidemount catalina is more steamline luxfer are butt floaty .
thats why i get confused i dive both back mount almost no difference but i want to see what people who use it side mounts will says

Any aluminum tank will float like that eventually and while the Catalinas start earlier, they are also half a pound less positive than the Luxfers when empty which is why the Luxfers are preferred for deco tanks since you can stack a bunch on one side with less of an impact to your trim.

Floating butts in sidemount is a non-issue as long as you provide appropriate attachment points and move them there around 2000psi for luxfer, or just put them there to begin with with the Catalinas.

I'd personally go with luxfers so they are that half pound less negative and they become better for stage/bigger deco bottles because of their buoyancy not their trim

Any aluminum tank will float like that eventually and while the Catalinas start earlier, they are also half a pound less positive than the Luxfers when empty which is why the Luxfers are preferred for deco tanks since you can stack a bunch on one side with less of an impact to your trim.

Floating butts in sidemount is a non-issue as long as you provide appropriate attachment points and move them there around 2000psi for luxfer, or just put them there to begin with with the Catalinas.

I'd personally go with luxfers so they are that half pound less negative and they become better for stage/bigger deco bottles because of their buoyancy not their trim
thank you for the advice now i have the option to buy any of it with same price thats why i want to consider
my instructor says the catalinas trim better the luxfer when they go half empty they start to be butt floaty he even use catalina for every course he teach he advised me to get catalina over luxfer

That's the first time I believe I have ever heard someone say they prefer Catalina over Luxfer in a technical setting, but if that's what your instructor recommends and you trust him, than who are we to tell you otherwise?

That's the first time I believe I have ever heard someone say they prefer Catalina over Luxfer in a technical setting, but if that's what your instructor recommends and you trust him, than who are we to tell you otherwise?
i respect everybody opinion thats why I'm here just to learn more and hear from different persons have more opinions and advices and learn from others experience thats the different between human and robots
whats about the 40s as a deco which one do you prefer and why please ?

I use either for stage/deco bottles and their close enough for me. Either will work fine
thank you for the advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom