Yoke vs Yoke Adapter Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kammel78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Looking to upgrade my yoke 1st with a new 1st (5th HP port, sealed, etc.) and I'm trying to decide on DIN vs Yoke. I've read lots of discussion here but I still can't make up my mind.

Right now, I've been using rented tanks either from my local shop or wherever we go - like Cozumel for instance. I'm eventually going to get into tech diving and will probably get my own tanks (hey, what's the point of a pool if I can't blow bubbles whenever I want? :).

Yokes have been fine for me so far, but I'm leaning towards a DIN 1st for my next. It seems, thought that people tend to dislike using yoke adapters with their DIN 1sts...is it really that bad? Is it worth putting up with the yoke adapter some of time (say half) to be able to use it without a yoke adapter the other half? Or would I be better off just getting a straight yoke 1st?

Thanks in advance!

if going tech you will need din, you have yoke, so just switch over to the existing first stage if you're travelling. Hose routing may not be ideal, but if you're primary diving is done with the other first stage, then it's not that big of a deal

The yoke adapter adds about a half inch to the reg to tank distance. I have never noticed a problem with my hog D1 regs.

I'm DIN, all my tanks are DIN. I only use yoke on vacation rentals (rec). The yoke adapter isn't a big deal to me. Doesn't hit me head or mess with my wing at all.

If I have bumped my head on it, it was hard enough to not remember it.

As far as I am concerned, there are only a few drawbacks to using a DIN adapter and they don't really concern your actual dive. First, it's an extra bit of equipment to take care of, forget, etc. Secondly, a lot of boat crews that set up gear on dive boats are unfamiliar with it, so you'll be better off setting up your own gear. (I believe every diver should do that on every dive!) Finally, using an adapter can be a pain when rinsing gear since it's not easy to seal the first stage with the adapter in place. That can be an expensive mistake!!

My first regulator back in '91 was a Poseidon Odin, that came with a DIN 1st stage and a matching DIN/Yoke adapter. I used it quite a few times with rental tanks and even during a few cavern/Intro dives when I was using a single tank 'Y' valve. For me, it is just a non issue. The DIN o-ring is a VERY stable, reliable seal and is what seals to the DIN/Yoke adapter. Just my opinion, but although it does technically add an additional point of failure, its hardly the weakest link in the chain. I have seen many more issues with leaks from the Yoke valve O-Ring.

I think I do remember bumping my head on the 1st stage at least once. ..But I have a pretty large cranium and probably had the tank riding up too high.

I'm eventually going to get into tech diving . . .

I had similar thoughts a few years ago when I was shopping for a new reg set, so I bought DIN, figuring I could use the adapter. If you've read a lot of previous threads, then you know there are people who don't find them bothersome, and some who do. I'm in the camp that finds the adapter bothersome. It limits the range of movement of my head just enough--maybe a half inch to an inch--to be annoying. Also, it can be forgotten when packing for a trip. After a few trips to the Caribbean, I decided I had had enough, and converted that reg set to yoke.

"Eventually"--a couple of years after buying the aforementioned reg set--I bought another set of regs for doubles, which are of course DIN. As I got into the tech training, the doubles reg set was just one expense among many: drysuit, double tanks, lights, reels, training, travel to/from the training, and more. We're talking quite a few thousands of dollars. I am able to use the yoke reg set to continue enjoying hassle-free Caribbean trips between the tech training sessions.

My first question is. Do you have your own tanks, if so, are they din or hard yolk. Use din if possible,,,,,,,, on vacation use the adapter if athey are not hard yolk valves.
When you rent what are the valves if hard yolk then use yolk If din or combo is available use din and have an adapter ready.
When on vacation when you rent its 50/50 if not more on the yolk side. then you can go either way din first with the adaptor for yolk.
i own my own tanks and they have combo valves in them so i use din... but take an adapter on vacation for those FEW times i can not get a din tank.

I like my yolk soft, sunny-side up. I like my yoke on my single-tank reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom