Staying in Ambergris Caye Aug 13-20 - Some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But of course you do have the option of skipping the BH dive itself. All three times I've done it there's been at least of couple of divers who elected not to make the first dive but came along for the rest of the trip.

My husband and I will be diving that week with Ecologic. They pick people up. Don't know how far out. Also they are trying to get together a blue hole trip for us and a trip up north.

Is Ecologic under new ownership yet?

I stayed at Amburgus Cay in 2015 in the town of San Pedro, great location. Blue Hole - Expensive and several hours boat ride from there. IMHO a Tourist trap. In 2015 both NAUI and PADI have had words with the operators about taking new divers there. The dive is a Decompression dive and I personally would never do it. In conversations with many who have dove there and looking at videos of the dive here are my thoughts. Diving a dive site with a bottom at 400+ feet and the dive is to look at Stalactites at 130+ feet with very little marine life below 60 or so feet. New divers make their first post certification dive here. Not smart. This is a recipe for a dive accident and there are ample reports that the Blue hole has had it's share. Bottom line, one diver has been there 5 times and only dove it once. It is a long expensive ride to get there from Ambergus Kay.

Go to You Tube and pull up Blue Hole Belize videos. Note the lack (absence) of marine life after the first 60 feet of so.

Alright, so we've made up our mind. It might be a terrible dive, but I'd prefer to make that judgement for myself. So we're doing it just to say we've done it. I am most excited about the other dives though.

We are also doing another full day of diving with Ecologic Divers (2 morning, afternoon, and Hol Chan) night dive. Onvacation24-7 guess we might see you out there!

Good choice, IMNSHO. Hope you have a wonderful day for it!

On the Blue Hole dive you're not looking for fish (sharks perhaps) but instead at the incredible geologic formation of the stalactites that were formed in a dry cave and now due to the celing collapse, available for your viewing. :wink:

During your safety stop, if not too many sharks join you, you can check out Pedersen Cleaning Shrimp and various other tinies.

Last edited:
I just got back (two weeks ago) from a week in Ambergris and I spent a week last year in Caye Caulker. I'd suggest skipping the blue hole trip, I felt the blue hole itself was very "meh". On the other hand, the dives at Half Moon after were well worth it.

I'd highly recommend trying to get on a trip that's headed to Turneffe. I did a 3 tank dive on the walls of Turneffe with Amigos del Mar and had such a good time that I did it again. It's not a popular site because it's an all day trip, and it was more expensive, but it was worth it.

Alright, so we've made up our mind. It might be a terrible dive, but I'd prefer to make that judgement for myself. So we're doing it just to say we've done it. I am most excited about the other dives though.

We are also doing another full day of diving with Ecologic Divers (2 morning, afternoon, and Hol Chan) night dive. Onvacation24-7 guess we might see you out there!

I recently vacationed in Belize and actually skipped the Blue Hole dive to do a substitute reef dive. Since the Blue Hole was on the list of dive sites, I originally planned to dive it because, well, it was on the list of dive sites. The night before, we were briefed on the dive plan. The total dive time would be about 30 minutes, with 8 minutes at depth (~135-138 feet) and finning under the stalactite to get to the other side. I thought a long reef dive actually sounded more enjoyable. For reasons I won't get into here, I decided to skip that dive and was offered a make-up dive that afternoon. That make-up dive was the best dive I did in Belize. Divers came back from the trip reporting dark narcs and feeling underwhelmed. Even if they had said it was the best dive they ever did, I would not have regretted my decision. I'm adding this just to affirm that everyone has their reasons for diving and their diving preferences. I hope you have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom