Jardines Aggressor - June '16 Trip Report (Part 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crgravitt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I sent this email to Wayne and Wayne at Aggressor and after a week haven't had a response so I think the easiest thing for me is to post the message I sent. Had they responded I would have edited to include that.

Good afternoon gentlemen. My husband and I have dreamed of going to Cuba, by hook or by crook, for at least ten years. We began diving in 2010 and began, in earnest, trying to find a way to get there. When relations opened we were thrilled and we couldn't believe our luck when the Aggressor Fleet offered a trip. We have been smitten with the Aggressor liveaboard since visiting Turks and Caicos and being treated to a week of amazing accommodations, food, diving, and care from Captain Amanda and her very capable crew. Suffice it to say, we booked as soon as we knew our schedule and could make the arrangements with your travel staff and joined the June 8, 2016 group. We were not part of the dive shop from Texas, just a random couple.

I will admit that I had low expectations for the Oceans for Youth portion to be held in Havana but knew it would give us a good day and a half to see the city if nothing else, then we'd move on to the diving. The Havana portion of the trip, including the accommodations, meals, tours, education, and entertainment were an absolute DELIGHT. Far better than I could have ever hoped for and I would re-do that part of the trip again any day. Dyan, the tour guide, and Dr. Baisre were key to the success of the Havana trip and the overall enjoyment we found.

Despite enjoying Havana, I was thrilled to move on to Jucaro to board the Jardines Aggressor on Saturday morning. The drive there was odd as we had a driver who spoke no English and only happened to have two guests who spoke Spanish and could translate for all of us. We had been told repeatedly that there would be a snack on the bus and lunch on the boat when we arrived. That morning we were told there were sandwiches for lunch and found those sandwiches were stored in an overhead bin on the bus - not in a cooler. The driver took us to a restaurant under a palapa with chickens running loose thru the restaurant and flies landing on every piece of food you could see. We were all more than a little confused and no one was interested in ordering food, plus there was the confusion of the sandwiches and the idea of a lunch on the boat. We all walked back to the bus and the driver eventually followed us. I suspect he was going to get a commission for bringing us to the restaurant and he was probably disappointed. It was our turn to be disappointed when we opened the sandwiches and saw bread, cheese, and the fattiest piece of ham I've ever seen. I refused to eat the meat but several people did.

About two days after boarding the boat, people start dropping like flies and "Immodium" became a hotter commodity than crack in Trenton. I don't know if it was the sandwiches or noro virus, but it spread thru the boat until 13 of the 16 guests had stomach issues. My husband missed a day of diving, I missed two and ended up at my own doctor because I was still suffering and was dehydrated 9 days after our return. We learned from the crew that 5 or so guests had been sick the week prior to our arrival. They also used up all the gastro meds in the enormous first aid kit so the only thing even close was TUMS.

Perhaps Turks and Caicos set some unrealistic expectations in my mind. I only buy Lexus because I have exceptional experiences with owning, driving and servicing them. I only stay at Hilton because they recognize my repeat business and the quality of the properties are consistently high. I only fly Delta. I'm not name dropping, I'm loyal. I anticipated that if the Aggressor name was on a franchise, it was a sure bet that I could expect top quality and value for the price. I don't think I've ever been this disillusioned.

My husband and I have dreamed of going to Cuba, by hook or by crook, for at least ten years. We began diving in 2010 and began, in earnest, trying to find a way to get there.

Just curious...while a number of people have been interested in going to Cuba for whatever reason, out of all the places in the world, why was it a 10 year fixation for you two?

Sorry to hear about the substantial hardships, but glad some of the trip was good.

Richard.

P.S.: If flying Delta has been an exceptionally good experience for you, wow. I've flown Delta a number of times. I grit my teeth & tell myself the others are probably just as bad...

I've just had an interest in Havana, I don't know why but I've always been interested in reading any books or watching documentaries so maybe it was the "you can't go there" thing that made me want to.

just returned from the jardines aggressor early this morning. although we had a few minor/petty issues thru the 9 day program, overall the experience was terrific(no gastro issues that I was aware of). full boat charter. the diving was very good (23 dives offered plus 2 snorkel excursions, saltwater crocs/elkorn forest). trip report hopefully with pics in a few days,,,,,,,,,,,we elected to fly on cayman airways MIA-GRAND CAYMAN-HAVANA-CAYMAN BRAC-MIA instead of dealing with charter outfits(a generous two 55LB bag allowance in economy on cayman)

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
Glad you had a positive experience, Reefman. What was your departure time from Havana? When I checked Cayman Air, it shows 3:05pm. Didn't think that was late enough to accomodate the bus ride back to the city along with a 4 hour check-in. Love that baggage allowance!

Glad you had a positive experience, Reefman. What was your departure time from Havana? When I checked Cayman Air, it shows 3:05pm. Didn't think that was late enough to accomodate the bus ride back to the city along with a 4 hour check-in. Love that baggage allowance!

cayman airways flight departed saturday @ 1645(scheduled), plenty of time as we arrived @ the airport around 1300. our groups cayman schedule,

Thursday, KX 103 departs 1130 : MIA-GCM connecting to KX 832 GCM-HAV arrives 1530
Saturday, KX 845 departs 1645: HAV-CYB connecting to KX 126 CYB-MIA arriving 2010
1 hour layover connecting each flight

BTW, majority of our group shooting high end cameras/gear and lots of it. cayman air was flexible with weight restrictions and carry on equipment, I believe their the best in the business in that regard,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom