catalina vs luxfer 80's and 40's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I notice a slight difference between Catalina doubles and Luxfer doubles, BM with manifold. (I have catalinas at home, and always end up renting luxfers while traveling) but I don't notice any difference when using them as single tanks. I wouldn't say one or the other is "better" for BM doubles, but they do seem to feel a bit different, especially when they get down under 1000 PSI. The luxfers definitely feel 'floatier'.

If you're going to be renting AL80 doubles or using rental tanks for sidemount, it's much more likely that they'll be luxfers, so you might want to keep it consistent with your own tanks. But the difference is only 1/2 lb, it's not anything too difficult to adjust to.

oh, i prefer the Luxfer 40's over the Catalinas for the same reason, though it is exaggerated with the 40's, the Catalinas are heavier and as such you notice them much more.

What @halocline said is true, on your back, it's not much to get used to, but that half pound on your side, especially if it is on one side, is noticeable

@tbone1004 @halocline thank you guys for the advices thats really helpful i dive both on my back i didnt feel so much difference so i wanted to hear from sidemount guys too
cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom