Thought you fellas might find this amusing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I can't breathe," she shouts. In med school, one of the things we learned is that if they are still talking, they can breathe. :wink:

I don't think CO2 vests are as common as they used to be.

SeaRat

"I can't breathe," she shouts. In med school, one of the things we learned is that if they are still talking, they can breathe. :wink:

I don't think CO2 vests are as common as they used to be.

SeaRat
Turns out I shouldn't of googled searat.
Do you know where I may be able to find a co2 vest? May go swim in the surf zone of panama city beach in a few months.

Seatec-Perch

This is one possibility. There are others, but they don't feature an Overpressure relief valve or large oral inflation hose.

SeaRat

I don't know; talk to a LDS and see whether they can order it.

SeaRat

We had those on the destroyer I served on (Claude V Ricketts DDG-5). We got bored once and decided to try exploding some of the older ones. We would pull the co2 charge cord to inflate it then load another co2 charge and pull the cord again. It took a couple seconds to pop. They were pretty loud.
Now you know what the USN does with your tax dollars.

The older U.S. Navy CO2 vests would pop. But the one I linked to won't as it has an overpressure relief valve. This is exactly why I recommend one with the ORV.

These are the ones which will pop! (U.S. Navy School for Underwater Swimmers, 1967.)

SeaRat

My ship was put in service around 1958 or so. A lot of the stuff on it was even older than that. I was on it from 1983 until 1986. We were still using B&L binoculars that were dated 1944 and a lot of the stuff in the arms locker was WWII issue too. The inflatable life vests were probably Vietnam war issue. They were green with the small oral inflator tube. We reprovisioned the lifeboats when I was onboard and a lot of the stuff we replaced had late 1960s dates on them. Stale green Chicklets and old green cans of water to name a few. One could only hope to be rescued quickly before you had to resort to actually using the provisions. I still have a signal mirror and one of the stainless steel utility knives dated 1967. Those were some of the better things that we would scavenge from the provisions. There were also waterproof strobe lights that attached to life vests. They were painfully bright and could probably be seen for miles on a clear night. I wish I would have grabbed one of those. I have no doubt you could be seen flashing for miles on a clear night. They would be a good addition along with a whistle and signal mirror for a bcd in the open ocean.

Back
Top Bottom