Controlling Buoyancy with your breath: Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP: Some folks here dismiss the "peak performance buoyancy" dive offered to new OWCs by some agencies, but it was extremely helpful for me. I think it was my 5th dive ever. There is a series of hoops and triangles and squares held at different depths above a platform at the local quarry (Dutch Springs), and I can still recall the first time I was able to go through the "track" without touching my inflator or bumping the sides of the "restrictions" . The feeling of control was incredible and this was when the whole scuba thing really began to click for me. It was through breathing / chest muscles, but it really did feel like I was just willing my body to move up or down.

A half-dozen dives later I spent a morning in a pool with NetDoc for more trim and buoyancy practice for good measure (very well worth it.)

FWIW, it became a lot easier once I had my own gear (instead of different rentals) and really got the weight dialed in.
Happy diving!
Don

OP: Some folks here dismiss the "peak performance buoyancy" dive offered to new OWCs by some agencies, but it was extremely helpful for me......

A half-dozen dives later I spent a morning in a pool with NetDoc for more trim and buoyancy practice for good measure (very well worth it.)

That type of course really depends on the instructor. Unfortunately there's not much in the way of a good set of standards for PPB in the big agencies, so they're usually either average, or really bad. There are exceptions of course. Most people get much more out of a similar course from one of the smaller, tech-driven agencies (GUE, IANTD) or a non-certification course from an excellent instructor like NetDoc's class.

That type of course really depends on the instructor.
NASE won't let me teach it as a course resulting in a card. It's completely remedial and should have been taught in OW.

I think it would be hard to write a real standard for it, then hold instructors to it. I think by the very nature of the exclusivity that comes along with being a GUE or IANTD instructor, it's easier to maintain that through Fundies or Essentials. There's no way you could hold PADI instructors to a similar standard.

I don't know enough about NASE to comment on their instructor cadre, but is there room for you to write the standard for them, and them implement it without a degradation in the quality of your program?

I'd actually like to head out to Florida and take your class someday, despite being full cave already. I think it would be cool to see through the eyes of someone who has already received specialized training.

I'd actually like to head out to Florida and take your class someday,
You would be disappointed. My workshop is merely a variation of my OW class. When I say it's remedial, I really mean it. It is my favorite class to teach, but I have no delusions of grandeur. I do keep changing it. My latest addition is underwater Jenga.... well a version of it. Students have to build towers with soft 2 pound weights while hovering. It's harder than it sounds as the lead pellets shift under the building weight making them fairly unstable. Add to that, their need to adjust their breathing in order to pick up and place the two pound weights. It's great fun to watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom