Attaching bolt snap to SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's start with the basics. What's the only true diving emergency? Being out of gas. Everything else is a problem that can be managed.

Now, have you ever had a bolt snap that had a little bit of sand/grit in the slide so that it didn't open? If you haven't, you will eventually.

Let's say you have a situation where your buddy needs gas. Is that an emergency? You bet your life it is. The correct answer in this situation is to give them the reg you're breathing from, but if you're on a stage bottle (your long hose is parked), you're still going to want to get that long hose free and ready to give them that gas -- there have been guys that have died after being passed a stage bottle (that was low on gas).

Murphy says this out of air scenario is when the bolt snap attached to your long hose is going to get jammed. If you have it attached via a mechanism that does not break away, you're going to have to cut it free (so now you fumble for a knife and start cutting, oh did we mention we're in an emergency?). But if you have it on a break-away, you simply tug hard and it's now free.

Personally, I want the break away, I think it's safer.

rectotec: HOW TO: TIE A BOLTSNAP USING AN O-RING
I like this, I think I might have to switch to this method.

I am OK with zip ties on the SPG's but I have mine all tied in with cave line. For my regs though, I have never liked breakaways or tied on bolt snaps.

This video from Brett shows the method that I use *albeit with modifications for Poseidons*, but this I think is the best option. Allows you to pull it free to breathe on it with the bolt snap still on the rig, easily allows it to be cut free if you need to, but also provides a much more secure attachment to your body when you aren't breathing on the primary since it won't dangle or get caught on anything. In an OOA the bungee will slide down the hose so you can get enough hose out quite quickly and either undo the boltsnap and slide it back up after everything stabilizes, or cut it free if the boltsnap is stuck.

Actually that knot is a larks head, a prusik has more turns around the maine line.

but since it starts as a prusik loop instead of a single lead, it is not technically a cow hitch

I have no idea what a “prusik loop.” I'm think you are saying there's a difference in what you call a knot depending on if it's tied in a bight or with a working end.

though a cow hitch requires a single end to be tied into an identical looking knot.

I didn't realize a cow hitch/girth hitch/larks head had such technical detail! I was only trying to point out someone searching for “prusik” would not find what is tied there and could very easily lead to some confusion.

A prusik loop is a climbing device created by tying a loop using a double grape knot. Also known as a double fisherman's and a double surgeon's knot. Unless it's used on another rope, I don't think it's truly a prusik loop. Here's a diagram from www.netknots.com.

double-fishermans.jpg

I use this to tie a variety of items like a regulator necklace. A short loop is great on a light... you don't need a clip to hold it on a BC although it's easy to add one in a thrice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom