Mask fit/seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to my world. Clearing your mask will use some air, but as a new diver, it will take a while to get your air consumption down. The mask may have a little to do with it, but you have to exhale anyway.

Next, I bet I have tried on at least 50 masks, bought at least a dozen, and I have two that fit pretty well. One size does not fit all! I have deep set eyes and a pronounced brow....like cro magnon man learned to dive. Anything deep enough to seal around my eyes would press on the bridge of my nose. I finally found a a replica of the early 80's squared off mask and it fits perfect and leaks very very little. I had a couple that I thought were perfect, stuck to my face like glue on dry land, but leaked like the titanic on a dive.

The moral of the story is it may take several tries to find your perfect mask. Leisure pro has a great return policy and huge selection. I bought masks for 4 people so if one didn't work, It became one for my wife or daughters. It's good advice about the regulator mouth piece when trying on a mask.

I have a back up mask that is close, but not as comfortable at the mask that makes me look like a hammer head shark. When one does not fit, try and try again. If all else fails, there is a company that will make a custom molded mask to your face. I think they were about $300.

Good luck,
Jay

Thanks everyone. I'll try positioning the straps different first. I am clean shaven. The reason I ascended the first time I flooded the mask I was only at 20 or so feet and I wear contacts. So rather than take the risk of loosing a contact I just resurfaced to adjust the straps. Now that I know how to adjust them without thinking or looking I'd close my eyes and fix it underwater. Remember I'm pretty darn new to this. :wink:

Thanks everyone. I'll try positioning the straps different first. I am clean shaven. The reason I ascended the first time I flooded the mask I was only at 20 or so feet and I wear contacts. So rather than take the risk of loosing a contact I just resurfaced to adjust the straps. Now that I know how to adjust them without thinking or looking I'd close my eyes and fix it underwater. Remember I'm pretty darn new to this. :wink:

Me to. That's why I have these masks now:
DGX Ren Mask with Vision Correcting Lenses | Dive Gear Express®

Works great. No more contacts. I use prescription sunglasses on the boat.

Great post by fmerkel, above. Basically, when trying on a new mask, don't put on and inhale to see if it fits. Rather, stand in front of a mirror, move the mask toward your face ( straps out of the way), and as the mask approaches face, check that top, bottom, and sides of mask (just) make minimal contact at same time. If one of these sides does not make contact while the other sides do, likely a problematic fit (note: light contact, don't push onto face). As a last check, you can inhale slightly, turn your head down and see if the mask stays on. If first test doesn't work, try another mask.

My mask will flood if I laugh or smile, separating the skirt from my face at my dimples.

Sometimes mask floods just happen - I bought mine six months ago and some dives it leaks slightly, others no leak at all.

One thing that may be affecting it is if you wear a hood, make sure it is clear of the mask skirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom