Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstrek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from Cozumel and wanted to provide info to those who wonder about batteries, tools and mosquito repellant (Off wipe on in our case). CZM has a case full of forbidden items in carry-ons HOWEVER, it is set up AFTER you have checked in your bag(s).

Thankfully, the desk agent asked about batteries BEFORE we checked in our bags in. Spare lithium batteries (for cameras in our instance) must be in a carryon bag. AA or AAA had to go into the check in bag. I swapped them out upon landing in the USA and put the Eneloops in my carryon.

Wasn't so lucky with my very small crescent wrench that I have travelled with on several trips, no problem in carryon. The bag scanner detected it and it is now a donation to the forbidden items case.

While the agent was watching me remove the wrench she noticed my Off bug wipes and told me those were also forbidden. WTH? Those are also a donation to the forbidden display. Oh well.

So to save anyone else the hassle, at least this year, that's what we experienced. I was much more concerned about having my brand new Eneloops confiscated as well as spare (and expensive) camera batteries.

Last edited:
Travel to CZM several times a year. True, they love to keep your items but as far as batteries, as long as they are inside something like the end-use item or a protective case, they are left alone. I just traveled from CZM yesterday as well with my spare Entreloops inside 4 plastic battery cases inside a Pelican box next to my Leatherman's Supertool and adjustable wrench packed inside my checked bag and all arrived safely.

Look on Amazon for battery storage containers and use them. You shouldn't have a problem if you do.

BTW--son is AA pilot. He reports that the problem is with loose packed batteries or those not in packaging at all.

Sorry to hear that this was your experience.

For future reference and for other travelers, there are several display cases throughout the airport lobby area with "prohibited items". There are also airport security agents at each check-in que (regardless of airline) prior to entering the line with a laminated list (with pictures) they show you or ask you to read before proceeding to check-in. Unfortunately, I see most people nod and walk by without reading it.

I concur with jchance on the batteries, if they are in a protected case, they are fine. It is loose batteries that raise issues.

Better luck with future travels.

The point that many people forget is that air travel regulations vary from country to country and the rules that apply are at the point of departure. Mexico prohibits loose batteries in carry on luggage, the USA bans loose Lithium batteries in checked luggage. Which can be a challenge, in theory if you have extra Lithium batteries leaving Mexico they go into your checked bag but upon arrival in the USA they must be transferred to carry on if you are boarding another flight.
Another example is in US airspace the restrictions for personal electronics were relaxed several years back but the last I heard the 10K' restrictions were still in place for Mexico.

gobroek - Just the opposite of what the gate agent told me. I had to loose lithium camera batteries that had to go in the carry on (they were in a baggie, banded together. The Eneloop AA were in a plastic stoarage container and they had to go in the check on luggage. Upon arrival they all went into my carry on. Other batteries were in devices (camera, lights, strobe, etc.) and were also in my carryon.

Christi - I've been to Coz a dozen time and the only display case I saw was right by the conveyor belt / scanner line. Not sure if it was my broken spanish but I got 2 different answers from the security agents and the desk agent regarding batteries. As I said, the AA, even in a container, not loose, went in the check on. The lithium did not. No, I didn't read the prohibited card carefully enough, didn't see mosquito repellent. I knew tools could be a problem but forgot I had it with me.

Allen wrenches need to be in checked luggage when leaving Cozumel. I had one small wrench confiscated and friends have had sets of them confiscated out of carry on. Mine made it through the xray but not at the gate however this is many years ago when they were checking more in depth at the gates. Now always checked. AA batteries are always in checked lugage in a leather zipper case and lithium camera batteries in small bubble wrap "pockets" in carry on. Never had an issue with batteries. I have not had any issue with the same setup coming out of the US or when back in with connecting flights.

Allen wrenches need to be in checked luggage when leaving Cozumel. I had one small wrench confiscated and friends have had sets of them confiscated out of carry on. Mine made it through the xray but not at the gate however this is many years ago when they were checking more in depth at the gates. Now always checked. AA batteries are always in checked lugage in a leather zipper case and lithium camera batteries in small bubble wrap "pockets" in carry on. Never had an issue with batteries. I have not had any issue with the same setup coming out of the US or when back in with connecting flights.

Pretty much what I did with the exception of a small adjustable wrench. Should have known better and was not surprised (but I've gone through numerous time before with it). What really surprised me was the mosquito repellant, why that?

The point that many people forget is that air travel regulations vary from country to country and the rules that apply are at the point of departure. Mexico prohibits loose batteries in carry on luggage, the USA bans loose Lithium batteries in checked luggage. Which can be a challenge, in theory if you have extra Lithium batteries leaving Mexico they go into your checked bag but upon arrival in the USA they must be transferred to carry on if you are boarding another flight.
Another example is in US airspace the restrictions for personal electronics were relaxed several years back but the last I heard the 10K' restrictions were still in place for Mexico.

Not the case last week. I flew Interjet (MX airline) from CZM to Mexico City last week. All personal electronics were allowed as long as they were in airplane mode during during taxi, take off and landing.

gstrek - yes, there are a couple of other cases at each end of the entry lobby as well - one right near the luggage saran wrap station (haha) and the other to the far left

As frustrating as travel is - I don't mind extra security measures and don't let this stuff ruffle my feathers (I used too). I just accept it because I can't change anything about it - I can choose not to travel, or I can let it give me heartburn and let just an exhausting travel day turn into a frustrating AND exhausting travel day from hell. I get to choose how I let these things that are out of my control affect me.

Not the case last week. I flew Interjet (MX airline) from CZM to Mexico City last week. All personal electronics were allowed as long as they were in airplane mode during during taxi, take off and landing.

gstrek - yes, there are a couple of other cases at each end of the entry lobby as well - one right near the luggage saran wrap station (haha) and the other to the far left

As frustrating as travel is - I don't mind extra security measures and don't let this stuff ruffle my feathers (I used too). I just accept it because I can't change anything about it - I can choose not to travel, or I can let it give me heartburn and let just an exhausting travel day turn into a frustrating AND exhausting travel day from hell. I get to choose how I let these things that are out of my control affect me.

Christi - I was not upset or frustrated, just wanted others to know what they need to be careful of packing in the appropriate bag. I did not see the other case to the far left and would liked it to have been right in the middle. At any rate the one I saw was after I checked my luggage in. Out of curiosity, why is mosquito repellant forbidden in carry-ons? -- and thanks for your insights.

Out of curiosity, why is mosquito repellant forbidden in carry-ons?

No certain idea, and I doubt we would be able to get anyone in an official position to say, but...

1) Some repellent wipes are easy to light and could be a source of havoc.

2) DEET is really hard on some plastics. My mom stuffed a DEET wipe into the handrest of our car when we parked outside Local 707. After dinner, the plastic was soft, sticky, and starting to deform. Annoying, but probably not as expensive as airliner plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom