3/2 wetsuit for surfing and scuba: two different things?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello guys,
after three years of diving I feel I should know this one, but embarrassingly I am unsure. For surfing, a 3/2 wetsuit means that it has 3mm on the torso and 2mm on legs and arms. What does it mean for a diving wetsuit? I believed it was the same thing, but the lady in the dive shop said that the 3/2 suits were thicker than the 3mm.. I was short on time but I check them out quickly, and in fact they did feel a bit different from my old surfing 3/2 mm I used also for water diving (which now is gone)... Sooo... are 3/2mm scuba wetsuit thicker than 3mm scuba wetsuit (and therefore different from a 3/2mm for surfing) or she was just drunk? Asking because here the prices are super high so I am going to buy online. :) Thanks a lot!:)

I used a 4/3 windsurfing suit for diving for years. Main real difference was more room in the arms and shoulders for movement, and a smooth outside to shed water and wind, which makes it less durable.
The thickness and warmth claims may or may not be valid.

The 3/2 designation means the same thing between the different types of suits. However, wetsuits intended for surfing use a different, softer neoprene than suits designed for scuba. Soft neoprene is fine on the surface, but will compress more at depth, losing its warmth quickly as you descend. Furthermore, soft neoprene will become permanently compressed more easily.

Scuba wetsuits are a bit more expensive for a reason. I would recommend a scuba wetsuit from Bare, O'Neil or Waterproof. These will last longer and keep you warmer. Make sure the suit fits you properly. This is pretty much impossible with online purchases. Trying on a wetsuit to make sure it fits is one of the services I'm willing to pay for at a dive shop.

The 3/2 designation means the same thing between the different types of suits. However, wetsuits intended for surfing use a different, softer neoprene than suits designed for scuba. Soft neoprene is fine on the surface, but will compress more at depth, losing its warmth quickly as you descend. Furthermore, soft neoprene will become permanently compressed more easily.

Sounds good, I guess that's why it felt somehow different, much stiffer than my older one which was a surf ws.

Scuba wetsuits are a bit more expensive for a reason. I would recommend a scuba wetsuit from Bare, O'Neil or Waterproof. These will last longer and keep you warmer. Make sure the suit fits you properly. This is pretty much impossible with online purchases. Trying on a wetsuit to make sure it fits is one of the services I'm willing to pay for at a dive shop.

I agree but not 300$ vs 100$... I am in Hawaii atm, prices are crazy here.

I have a 3/2 O'Neill that I use for both. Sure, it will compress more, but when the water is 78+ it doesn't really matter. I use my 5mm for colder water

I have a 3/2 O'Neill that I use for both. Sure, it will compress more, but when the water is 78+ it doesn't really matter. I use my 5mm for colder water

exactly, I used to do the same. I also had an 3/2 O'Neil, but I do not have it anymore so I cannot find out the model... which one do you have? Thanks!

The O'Neil that I use is the 3mm Sector with the firewall lining. Probably one of the warmest of the 3mm suits. I can dive it in 74 degree water for several hours with a Lavacore shorty underneath and am plenty comfortable.

exactly, I used to do the same. I also had an 3/2 O'Neil, but I do not have it anymore so I cannot find out the model... which one do you have? Thanks!

Honestly it's a little older and I'm out of the country right now, so I'm not even sure. I'll take a closer look when I get home

Back
Top Bottom