Alor Exploration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any feedback from members here about Alor and how excited folks might be with this destination ?We are exploring there soon in September and very interested how people have heard about or might be hearing good stuff as a new destination for the adventurous types :)

Would this be part of the relocation trip from Komodo to Raja Ampat or vice versa? If so, then it makes sense. Or are you thinking of doing itineraries Maumere to Maurmere before moving elsewhere vs. just moving along from Maumere to Saumlaki? I haven't done the area, but folks I know think its pretty good, but not awesome. It's definitely macro-centric, which is why I haven't gone there. I know some folks who live for more froggies and Rhinos, but I'm kind of over them.

The latest hype is to kind of skip over Alor in order to travel amongst the Forgotten Islands. I think if I owned a boat I would do as few transition itineraries as possible and as many Raja/Triton Bay and Komodo trips as possible. I would have alternate Raja itineraries, too. Everyone goes to the exact same sites. It can be a beatdown when every boat wants the same sites every single day. There are hundreds of dive sites in the book. I recommend you explore those 150 that are ignored and you will find a bunch that can be part of itineraries that others aren't doing. It does take some adventurous types to do exploratory diving since it can be hit and miss. But if you start with Burt and Maurine's book and just do some that aren't everyday sites, you can get some real winners that are uncrowded.

Just my crazy opinion. I dive to the beat of a different drummer.

I haven't done the area, but folks I know think its pretty good, but not awesome. It's definitely macro-centric, which is why I haven't gone there. .
So according to your friends, hammerheads are macro?
(You should never listen peole who "think they know". Like one of your president said "It's not cool to know not what you're talking about".
Personally I've been 3 times in Alor, and would go more if you ask me... just sayin')

Agree 100% with Luko.... It kind of seems like if you haven't been there then you probably don't really know what it is like.. I have been many times and am going back in Sept. for an Alor trip on a liveaboard. It is refreshingly different from the Komodo & Raja trips so it is great for people who have been to the other locals and want something a bit different. ...but for me what makes it exceptional is not only that the diving is awesome, but that there aren't a ton of boats there like Komodo and Raja so maybe it is good that people like scorpiofish keep listening to the "folks" they know.

Thanks guys - this would be prior to our scheduled Forgotten Islands trips and would be Alor - Maumere to Maumere If we nail it and folks find fantastic diving we will include this each year for September, probably 2 trips before relocation through Sumlaki in October. The Forgotten Islands is super popular as is Raja Ampat, we are looking for alternatives to the Komodo Summer and I will let you know in September how it all goes. Cheers Jamie

I didn't love Alor. For the amount of money I spent and distance traveled I would have much rather done Ambon macro or Komodo pelagics. Also, the water was freakin freezing (16-17) and I am a total warm water wimp. That being said, MANY (maybe as many a half) of the other guests where I stayed were repeat customers and loved Alor. Maybe it is simply a matter of taste, but this seems to be the consensus with Alor- some love it, some are pretty indifferent.

You may have trouble filling the boat since most people just want Raja or Komodo. I think the extended trips that combine Komodo and Alor might sell better. Best of luck to you! @matts1w is right, Clown valley is one of the coldest sites but what an amazing experience and gorgeous dive that is... I have never had it lower then 23 but have heard stories about 16-17.... brrrr To be fair, it can be pretty cold in south Komodo too.

Clown valley is one of the coldest sites but what an amazing experience and gorgeous dive that is... I have never had it lower then 23 but have heard stories about 16-17.....

Anemone city 20°C while on the same day the northern part of Pantar straits was around 25°C.

I stayed in one of the resort in Pantar island, not impressed. I guess Komodo & Raja Ampat had spoiled me with high diving expectations after going such remote places.

Flight to Alor from Denpasar is a bit cumbersome in comparison to Labuan Bajo for Komodo or to Sorong for Raja Ampat. To get to Alor, I had to fly from Denpasar to Kupang and then Kupang to Alor with small, questionable reputation small airlines. The flight was delayed.

I may try the crossing liveaboard trip from Ambon to Alor or from Sorong to Alor in the future. Currently, I plan to do a 13-day crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong, passing Banda sea to see the schooling of hammerhead sharks, next year.

Last edited:
Indeed from a popularity stand point Raja is king, then Komodo, although Komodo is getting pretty over crowded and messy, I am in Labuan Bajo currently and for sure many liveaboards are considering alternatives and itineraries that the frankly dangerous day boats cannot achieve. Alor keeps coming up as a possible new goldrush destination, although given the water temperature I doubt it will allow such traffic as Komodo gains with all the dive shops day-boats and schools here. September and October is hammerhead time towards the Banda Islands via Sumlaki and this sells really well and is a wild adventure. Sorong to Ambon many boats do a single cruise at the end of April as they relocate out of Sorong to the south. Still we must explore so we can consider Alor for the coming years :)

Back
Top Bottom