Wife against me getting Cave Cert (full)..suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing you didn't mean this quite how it came across... :wink:I think I got your meaning after I continued to read :).
I'll go back up and fix it. "...contributed to solving several problems concerning salmon..."

Thanks,

SeaRat

My wife has expressed concern about me learning to cave dive. So, our compromise is I won't tell her when I'm off to learn, and I'll let her know about it when I get home. But, one of the tenets of our relationship is we will not forbid each other from doing something the other wants to do. We will lay out our reasons for concern, and let the other make an informed decision, without a guilt trip if it what we want.

if she is a scuba diver, then take her in one of those try dives(cavern zone) if she is not, there is no need/point of her knowing!! some people cant bear the idea of dark, narrow, submerged cave, over-head environment for 1-2 hours!!

btw, as a full cave diver, almost %95 of the course/training is all about safty drills!!

I feel one MUST have the complete "buy-in" of one's family / loved ones when undertaking ANY potentially hazardous endeavor. And one can only truly get that when concern and hesitations are discussed.

Cave diving is "safer" in my opinion, that much of the openwater reef diving undertaken without much of a second thought. I believe this to be the case because of the training, planning, sober second thought that responsible cave divers practice. I am biased since I teach it and CCR and other forms of technical diving. But I honestly believe my bias is justified and backed up by the evidence.

Been diving for 50 years and cave diving for 17 years. Wife and I have very strict rules.
Rule #1. My two cave diving children and I never dive together.

Rule #2. My two cave diving children never dive together.

Rule #3. Refer back to rules #1 & #2

It would be rough on my wife losing two of us on a cave dive, but unimaginable to lose all three of us on a cave dive.

Always remember the family and friends if something goes really bad

My thoughts are that every relationship is based on trust. With that in mind, if you are keen to cave dive, then you have to at least have a conversation with her about her concerns and your reasons for doing it.

It may be that, after hearing her concerns that you decide not to do it or that she relents after you explain the safety aspects of cave training (or get an experienced cave instructor to go through for her).

Just tell her instead of cavediving you'll take up superbike riding... just kidding :D

I think everything has been said already, next to the big talk and insurance I would also discuss the impact of staying regular on this activity on your family live. If you don't live close to caves this means that you'll be dedicating a significant part of your "off time" or holidays on doing this sport, which will impact your family as well. If you live very close to cave country kudos to you... you should already be in the caves now. :yeahbaby:

Someone mentioned having your wife also cave diving. I wonder about that from time to time... I know some GUE diving couples, but most of the time there still is a significant experience difference, meaning the significant other can't go on all dives and still worries when their partner is on those big dives. However since they have received equal training they also understand the procedures and can more or less understand it.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for their input. I have weighed all this. I don't live close to caves unfortunately, my wife is not a diver, we tried and she panicked even trying to breathe out of a snorkel. She is not coming around to accepting this and so for now no caves for me. I will continue to further my diving training and experience and maybe one day its in the cards. Ultimately if I ever screwed up in a cave the last thought I would want going through my mind is that I expired doing something there as no agreement on. For those of you that do cave dive.. luck you ! Enjoy and stay safe. It strikes me as something indescribably beautiful.

Thank you to everyone for their input. I have weighed all this. I don't live close to caves unfortunately, my wife is not a diver, we tried and she panicked even trying to breathe out of a snorkel. She is not coming around to accepting this and so for now no caves for me. I will continue to further my diving training and experience and maybe one day its in the cards. Ultimately if I ever screwed up in a cave the last thought I would want going through my mind is that I expired doing something there as no agreement on. For those of you that do cave dive.. luck you ! Enjoy and stay safe. It strikes me as something indescribably beautiful.
It sounds like a lot of her fear is based on general anxiety rather then concrete concerns. That is really hard to combat with logic and reasoning. But if cave diving ever gets really important to you and you think it might help her to talk to another female that also has a little cave traing I would be happy to talk to her.

Cool. Split the difference and go to Cozumel. Let her shop while you dive.

The right Caribbean dive = Caves? What caves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom