TTL not working anymore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hezishohat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi
My set include OMD EM-1 in Nauticam case
and 2 of S&S YS-D1
When I got it few months age, I set it as recommended here in forum.
Lately the TTL not working.
when the strobe is on TTL it fire but not the correct amount of light.
so now I use the manual option but would like to get your advice how to set it back.
I'm going to update to firmware 4.1 so I will have to set it anyway

Thanks, Hezi

I've never used those particular strobes or that camera, but noticed with mine that in certain modes there is a pre-flash that messed up the TTL functionality. Might be worth checking if there is a pre-flash happening.

Are the images blown out or too dark? I had problems with the EM Oly flash attachment going bad. This has happened twice, so I always carry a spare.

Are the images blown out or too dark? I had problems with the EM Oly flash attachment going bad. This has happened twice, so I always carry a spare.
Yes, but when I use Manuel mode on (no pre-flash) it works. Only the TTL not working good (the flash mode in the camera is on 1/64)

As suggested it is difficult to help without more information. Is the problem that the pictures are dark or too brightly lit? If it is the former try shooting into a mirror. If the strobes (both) are not flashing in the photo in the mirror, then you are not in synch. If the flash is set to "fill" on the camera, then the problem is either with the Oly flash or your two strobes. The most likely issue is that the strobes are not set to the mode for TTL correclty. I don't know your strobes but tell us exactly what position each button or dial is in and someone will be able to help you. Does TTL work with the Oly flash out of the housing? Again use the mirror test. If the flash it not lit in the picture, then the problem could be with the Oly flash as suggested by others.

I see the problem. You have the camera's flash mode set to 1/64. Set the camera's flash to "fill flash" - the lightening bolt icon. Fill flash forces the camera to always fire the flash and the TTL setting on the strobes will follow.

If you want to manually control the strobes, 1/64 conserves the camera's battery by simply winking a little to signal the strobes to fire in manual mode.

Yes, but when I use Manuel mode on (no pre-flash) it works. Only the TTL not working good (the flash mode in the camera is on 1/64)

If you have the external strobe set to TTL, the on camera strobe also needs to be set to forced flash (not 1/64).

If you are shooting with the external strobe set to manual mode on (no pre-flash) then setting the internal flash set to 1/64 should work just fine. Either both set to TTL or both set to manual.

Great idea to take a picture in a mirror to see if strobe is working before you get it wet!

Gstrek. You must have been typing when my message was posted. Looks like I beat you by four minutes. Great minds think alike?

Yes, you did. I wanted to research the YS-D1 to make sure it was able to be set to manual mode. It took me 4 minutes! Just back from SCC! Love that shore dive, jlyle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom