Connect air2 to dss wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an aqua lung air source. I guess I started using the names interchangeably. I guess its looking like its not worth trying to reuse my current one and plan on buying a new one. The new problem I have is I am not sure which to get for a dss. There were 3 different styles matching 3 different common brands but none were dss. Any idea which common brands my dss would be compatible with?

AFAIK, you need an AL corrugated hose for the AL AirSource and it won't work with other standard hoses. If you still want to attached an AirII/AS type of second stage/inflator to your BC, I'd consider the Scubapro or the Atomic since they work with standard corrugated hoses (you need to make sure of this part before buying anything new).

I have an aqua lung air source. I guess I started using the names interchangeably. I guess its looking like its not worth trying to reuse my current one and plan on buying a new one. The new problem I have is I am not sure which to get for a dss. There were 3 different styles matching 3 different common brands but none were dss. Any idea which common brands my dss would be compatible with?

I would just get a regular second stage as your alternate, use the standard inflator that came with the DSS rig, and sell the aqualung air source. You almost certainly will be happier in the long run, and it's probably the cheapest alternative. As you're finding out, the proprietary fittings on the octo/inflator combos can be a pain. You would need a longer corrugated hose to be able to comfortably breathe on the air source during air sharing.

The most comfortable set up to both dive with and share air with, IMO, is a 5ft hose on the primary and a 22-24" hose for the alternate, which is worn around your neck on a bungie necklace. For air sharing you donate the primary, just like with the octo-inflator. There are all sorts of reasons that this is really a better system, and there have been all kinds of threads about it. If you are set on keeping the octo inflator, you will need to buy a longer corrugated hose that fits it, and a shoulder dump/elbow that fits the DSS wing as well as the corrugated hose. If you can find all that, you should then still get a long hose for primary 2nd stage donating, so that you're not trying to share air on a short primary hose. That's a problem in a real emergency, then you have the added issues of trying to vent air while you're breathing on the inflator, and tugging on the relatively weak corrugated hose. This is an issue with the pull-shoulder dumps. If that hose or the plastic part it's attached to breaks, you will immediately lose all the air in your BC and it will fill with water. I have seen it happen. Not a very smart thing to be tugging on, IMO. Lots of divers have those and get away with it; but I personally would not use one.

I really wanted to streamline my setup and run an Atomic SS1. But it's not as streamlined as I thought. Too long and dangly. A regular regulator on a necklace proved to be the better idea, just as everyone here said.

Back
Top Bottom