Good Deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no reason to buy your gear all at once. I think it is actually better to rent different gear when first getting started to get a feel for different types and configurations and find out what works for you for the type of diving you are into. Get good basic snorkle gear first and then add the other equipment as you go along. That way you can learn about and can afford better gear as you progress.

It's an ok deal. The retail on those items combined is in the $1300 range; the Amazon deal is $1034, which is about 25% off.

Closer to 20% at 21.3.

Bob

Look @ used stuff(on the bigger tx items)----------ought to be able to save some that route-------& there's good stuff out there......

the good side about scuba diving is that, whatever you buy (known brands), as long as you take care of it, will last you a life time, and your kids (in future) might end up using your gear, I mean, in the regulators page for example, once in a while, you come across people talking about their regulators from 70s-80s era!!

what I would really recommend is that you try as many different diving gears as possiable, look for a different dive center that deal with a different brandes, try the jacket, back infilate, BP&W, different regulators and so on. i know the feeling when you show up with a rental gear while everybody is rocking high-end gears but, i'd rather you make a wise purchase than upgrading your whole diving gear multiaple times!!

Good regs. I use these except for I have the DC3, instead of the DC1, and the DC3 is not as nice. $400

DGX Custom - Hollis DC1/212 Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®

Good BCD $300

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

Whatever computer you want. A lot of recommendations for the Mares Puck Pro for cheap. Can't argue against that. But, the Geo 2.0 is a lot nicer, I think. Up to you whether it's worth it at $429.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnge2/oceanic-geo-20-wrist-computer

If you get a Puck Pro for $150, you'd be in for a total of $850 and have a much nicer setup than that Aqua Lung package.

@runsongas if you know somewhere I can buy a used Shearwater for $300, please PM me a link or something.

didn't say they could find a used petrel for 300. if someone is already spending over 300 on a computer, a used petrel is worth considering.

didn't say they could find a used petrel for 300. if someone is already spending over 300 on a computer, a used petrel is worth considering.

Gotcha. $500-600 is a big leap from $300, though. You could get a totally adequate recreational computer and a backup (i.e. 2 computers) for the price of a used Petrel. Heck, you can get a nice complete reg set AND a rec computer for the price of a used Petrel.

Check out the Dive Gear Express Dite Rite XT streamlined reg set ($600) or the Hollis version ($400).

Deep Sea Supply complete BP/W, SS plate, LCD30 ($470). W/plate weights and glide adapter ($600).

Any puck wrist computer. ($100-200)

Far superior gear for hardly more in price. Don't freak if the DSS BP/W feels like heck compared to the BCD you trained with. It gets better in the water, and with age and experience.

Pick up a rebuild kit for the 2nd stage regulators of your choice when you order them. I tore a hole in my Dive Rite XT2 diaphram the 1st time I dived with it after training. Stick got in it somehow. I forgot to push down the purge button when unscrewing the diphram ring and the valve fingers reached up and sliced through it. Spare parts are nice. Aside from that, the DR XT2 is pretty idiot proof once you've seen what's on the inside.

Last edited:
Gotcha. $500-600 is a big leap from $300, though. You could get a totally adequate recreational computer and a backup (i.e. 2 computers) for the price of a used Petrel. Heck, you can get a nice complete reg set AND a rec computer for the price of a used Petrel.

600 is for a petrel 2 though. i got a petrel 1 off the classifieds here for just a little over 400 after shipping and fees.

600 is for a petrel 2 though. i got a petrel 1 off the classifieds here for just a little over 400 after shipping and fees.

That's awesome. I haven't seen those for that cheap. You got a great deal!

Back
Top Bottom