Things to do, places to eat in Male?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibmerlin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be leaving for the Maldives in a couple of weeks. We will be aboard a live aboard for a week then on Rasdhoo for a week. In between and after we will be spending a couple of days in Male. Any suggestions on things to see/ do in male? Any recommendations for good restaurants?

Don't go to the Fish Market, it is ... well..... unappealing.

Don't go to the Fish Market, it is ... well..... unappealing.
What about the veggie market near there? I always like getting fresh local grown fruit when we go to a place like that.

I don't know. We wandered around Male a bit (we overnighted there before and after a liveaboard) but remember nothing particularly special, except the awful fish market. It was Ramadan, maybe that was part of it?

Yes, there doesn't seem to be much to do there. We will be there 3 days total. One before a live aboard one after,before we go to a resort and then one before we leave. Any restaurants you liked?

Spend the extra days in Rashdoo instead, Male is not the best place to stay and there is next to nothing going on. I lived in the Maldives for a couple of years and I used to hate going there to be honest.

Spend the extra days in Rashdoo instead, Male is not the best place to stay and there is next to nothing going on. I lived in the Maldives for a couple of years and I used to hate going there to be honest.
I wish we could but they are just buffer days in case of bad weather ect.

Have you been to Rasdhoo? If so how did you like it?

there is very little in Male for a tourist.

I can understand the night there before the lob. It looks like you might be flying a long way.

But afterwards, I'd go straight from the lob to the resort. Lobs normally spend the last night very close to Male, so you would have no problem getting a sea plane transfer the next morning.

I haven't stayed in rasdhoo, but have dived there a few times from a lob. The dive sites there are some of the best in the Maldives. You'll have a great trip.

Which lob are you taking?

there is very little in Male for a tourist.

I can understand the night there before the lob. It looks like you might be flying a long way.

But afterwards, I'd go straight from the lob to the resort. Lobs normally spend the last night very close to Male, so you would have no problem getting a sea plane transfer the next morning.

I haven't stayed in rasdhoo, but have dived there a few times from a lob. The dive sites there are some of the best in the Maldives. You'll have a great trip.

Which lob are you taking?
I will have to look into if I can add a day to Rasdhoo. We booked the carpe diem for a week but the boat will be in for repairs that week so we have been upgraded to the Carpe Novo I believe. We are going with a large group of friends so switching buffer nights might be hard to do. Are there any excursions form male that might be worth doing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom