What are some good family friendly springs diving in northern Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My kids have off school the whole last week of September for a fall break. We are in the Atlanta area and planning to drive to go see family in the Palm Coast/Daytona Beach area. I am a certified diver and have about 40 logged dives. My dives have mainly included the Gulf, Lake Jocassee, Caribbean and Atlantic, but have always wanted to try some of these natural springs in the Northern Florida area.

This seems like a good opportunity to do so and we are looking to try and stop at one on the drive down or back. From my initial research, the following seem like some good options:
  • Ginnie Springs
  • Devil’s den
  • Blue Grotto
Now, here are some of the catches though. I am the only one in my family who is scuba certified and the other family members would simply swim and/or snorkel. Therefore, I am solo so would need to somehow find a dive partner. Also, I would need to rent most of my equipment as well so an on-site dive shop of some kind is probably the best way to go. Finally, I see how some have cabin rentals and/or camping and this could be a desired option as well (bit not a deal breaker).

Any suggestions (mentioned or not mentioned) on where to go that could fit into most of these parameters?

You have the only 3 that I have been to as an ow diver. I had a blast and really enjoyed them, I'm sure you can't go wrong with them.

Ginnie is your best for what you describe.

Gear rental & tanks onsite
Play toys/tubes and huge swim section for non diving family
Lotta divers and easy to find a buddy at the check in counter early
The camping is very very good WITH hot showers
Not that far off I-75 highway.

Then just 2 hours quick trip over to Daytona for family.

Dive Ginnie, your family will love it !

Ginnie Springs definitely fits your needs and is probably one of the more family fun springs there is. If the weather is nice you can also float a tube down the Santa Fe river to end your day although I usually bring my kayaks for that. If I had the money I'd volunteer drive down there from South Carolina to be your dive buddy since I always have fun there. Devil's Den also works for you because they allow snorkelers and it's a very, very unique experience. Blue Grotto isn't worth a snorkel float and only allows a snorkeler when accompanied by a diver. In their defense the surface area isn't very large so it needs to be limited somehow. It's a cool dive and very beautiful but to float on top there's really nothing for them to see. Also not as likely to pick up a buddy diver there than at the other two locations from what I've seen. For other readers I don't want to discourage any divers from going to Blue Grotto, the people are great, the dive is fun, and the place is beautiful, but it doesn't suit the OP's needs.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom