Flooded my Oceanic ProPlus 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Ralph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I immediately removed the battery and water poured out. Display is full of condensation. Oceanic wants $160 to fix/replace. I guess it's worth it since it's cheaper than a new computer. But any chance I can remove the cover, dry it out and salvage? Or is the whole thing compromised? It has very tiny torx bits on the front so I'll have to hunt for the right size driver bit, assuming it isn't torqued down too tight to remove. Anyone had experience with this?

I learned the hard way that the o-ring needs lubed first, and then put on the battery hatch cover itself before affixing and screwing the cover down. When I removed/replaced the hatch cover, the o-ring was down in the recess of the battery compartment. I just put the hatch cover back on and screwed it down. Guessing I pinched the o-ring with the hatch cover. Didn't realize I had a problem until my second dive, when the thing started flipping out on me.

If it's been that way for awhile and the display is kind of hose....probably the whole thing is shot. Saltwater + electricity > eats up the battery contacts. The LCD 'should' be watertight so the condensation could merely be on the front. If it's shot and you have nothing to lose, assuming the replacement option is still good if you open it up, then have a look. I've opened up a bunch of flooded computers, never got one working again.

Can't much comment then. Electrolysis still would happen but probably at a much lower rate. Most of the components are solid state and can take the dunking. Your particular computer....can't comment.

Send it back you will get a refurbished. Not yours back. I have done the exchange several times.

Send it back you will get a refurbished. Not yours back. I have done the exchange several times.

That's what I'm currently debating. Cost is $160. I cracked it open last night and letting it dry out now. Will see if it responds to a new battery once I put it back together. If not, it will definitely go back.

Is your life or your next dive vacation worth $160?

I'd jump on a replacement in a heartbeat.

It may respond but you can't be sure that when you put it back together the integrity of the water tight seal will be any good.

I field tested it after drying it out. Dropped it into the pool for a couple hrs. It failed.

Back
Top Bottom