Zika

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are 120 pregnant women in the US with Zika. What you are exposed to in retail in the US doesnt come close to what you are exposed to in tropical areas. Your comment is probably the most ignorant I have seen in a long time.

I don't know....women are shoppers. Now if 120 MEN had zika in the US....and I think it was 120 REPORTED cases of pregnant women....shoppers....could be more you know.....just saying since we have to avoid ignorance at all costs on here.

the number is now 234

To date, the data are fairly clear that Zika is a real concern for pregnant women. Although the risk for microcephaly is fairly small, why risk it? On the other hand, for those who are not worried about pregnancy, the health risk from Zika is pretty small. I work in Central America as a biologist and my work entails that I spend my nights in the forest with no insect repellant. I've picked up one or more of the flaviviruses (dengue, zika, chickungyuna). These viruses do make some people really sick, but for most, the symptoms are fairly mild. A lot of things keep me awake a night, but this is not one of them.

So you're a biologist and you don't use insect repellent and you have gotten one of the viruses. how do you suppose a sane person would add that up

Parents shouldn't let their children to grow up to be biologists? :facepalm:

If you live in Belize and don't lather on insect repellent immediately after bathing, swimming and probably another few times daily, you are going to get bitten by mosquitos, sand flies, doctor flies, red bug..... and a few other biting bugs. I'll risk a virus or two rather than risking long term health issues related to constant application of insect repellent.

Last edited:
There are no health issues related to using insect repellent according to the directions

katzgar, I study frogs. Insect repellent is readily absorbed through their skin and is lethal to them in even low concentrations. I've been doing this in the tropics now for 12 years with no major problems.

Back
Top Bottom