Suggestion: replacement free dive fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all -I live in Singapore and free dive mostly in Bali. As a DM, I dive mostly in Indonesia. With strong currents, free dive fins are wonderful. Since I live in tropical SE Asia, I do not use neoprene socks. When I move thru the thermocline and the water temps hit 21°C, I sometimes think about my sanity.

I currently use Mares Pro Razor fin for scuba diving (as a DM) and free diving. The fins fit fine, perhaps a bit loose in the heal. After about 1 1/2 years of heavy use, with fins getting throw around in the RIB, dive deck, and customers stepping on fins, the foot pocket is torn. See attached photograph.

I am open to suggestions for new fins. FYI, I have relatively narrow feet. My shoe size is EU 42, USA 9. The Mares fin pocket is 5 1/2- 6 1/2 or EU 39-40. I could delay purchasing new fins until my next trip to the USA (San Francisco and Seattle). Before purchasing, I prefer to try on fins first. Any suggestions?

IMG_3889.JPG

Freedive Shop Sacramento. Normally determine the best fitting foot pocket with socks first then the type of blade carbon or fiberglass or plastic. The most comfortable 4mm booties are Argos Stealth. I use Picasso FP and carbon blades. I have wide feet. Narrow feet have more types of FPs. If the Mares works with the socks you like then just need blades. Check Mako for info. Blades may be cheaper in Italy or Ukrain depends on the exchange rate. Strange though Mares FP are for wide feet.

Last edited:
I would get the 4mm Argos Stealth first. If the Mares FP works with the socks, then just get a complete set of Mares rather than FP and Blades separately. Check price of Mares in Italy.

I would get the 4mm Argos Stealth first. If the Mares FP works with the socks, then just get a complete set of Mares rather than FP and Blades separately. Check price of Mares in Italy.

Since the SST is usually 27*C or warmer, I have yet to use socks. Perhaps. 2mm thick sock might be better for me? I only had the opportunity to try on Mares and Cressi free dive fins. The Mares seem to fit better, but it would be nice to try on different FP's. It's hard to fins a good selection of free dive fins in Singapore. I occasionally travel to San Francisco and Seattle, perhaps I might find a better selection or choice of fins there. I avoided Mako fins, since it would be nice to try the fins in for size before purchase. Best...

Argos Stealth also comes in a 2mm High or low top which I use for Southern California. Many Freedivers in California use the Argos socks. I was thinking 21C was around 50F by mistake and suggested 4mm.

There are many different FP. The Picasso and Mares fit wide feet and are softer FP. Stiffer FP offers more control/feedback/response, but if ill fitting they can cause cramping and cold spots. The Freedive Shop has a great selection. Check prices on Neptonics and FreediveShop websites. Don't forget to check the price and selection on Mares in Italy Dive website. I have purchased spearguns when the Euro was not so strong. Shipping is somewhat high though from Europe.

Last edited:
Great idea, I will look for Argos 2mm low cut socks. OMG, 50*F. This reminds me of my past diving in lovely California.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom