What is the worst place to eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palmeras, by the ferry dock. Just awful. Like a diner anywhere.

Last edited:

If your complaint is that it is a tourist trap, then I'd agree - it gets loaded up with Cruise Ship Pod People during the afternoons. But it happens to be one of my guilty pleasures for an early breakfast on days off from diving - good fresh-squeezed OJ, good fresh fruit, and a very decent Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde; not the best salsa verde on Cozumel, but still very good - it stacks up favorably to the one I've had at the Museum (another favorite breakfast spot for non-diving days). I've never had lunch or dinner there, but I've never had a bad breakfast there.

You know I think I have eaten at Palmeras twice. First time the fish was good and the service was absolutely terrific. Second time wasn't really the memorable. Nothing wrong though.

Have to agree with the diner comparison, but it's a good spot to people watch the bustle and craziness of the comings and goings of the ferry.

If your complaint is that it is a tourist trap, then I'd agree - it gets loaded up with Cruise Ship Pod People during the afternoons. But it happens to be one of my guilty pleasures for an early breakfast on days off from diving - good fresh-squeezed OJ, good fresh fruit, and a very decent Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde; not the best salsa verde on Cozumel, but still very good - it stacks up favorably to the one I've had at the Museum (another favorite breakfast spot for non-diving days). I've never had lunch or dinner there, but I've never had a bad breakfast there.
Palmeras (formerly Las Palmeras) is also one of the oldest continuously running businesses on the island. It is also independently owned and run, unlike Margaritaville, Planet Hollywood (good riddance), Hooters (likewise), Señor Frog's, <insert your favorite tourist trap>... I didn't particularly like it when they switched to the Denny's style menus, but still, it is a long standing landmark business.

Last edited:
I like Palmeras.

I remember back when Pilar was the only female waiter on the island and they served venison steak, stewed turtle, shredded jabali, and ceviche de caracol.

Here is a photo of what Palmeras looked like when it was names "Pepes" and was just a couple of tables on the sidewalk in front of the market, which then occupied the space where Palmeras is now, before the market was torn down. The people in the photo are the owner, Eduardo Ruiz (o "don Pepe") and actors Fernando Lujan, Alberto Vazquez, and Hugo Stigliz, who were in Cozumel filming "Pilotos de Combate" in 1973.

restaurante pepe (1).jpg

Later, journalist/writer Hunter S. Thompson paid a visit to Pepe's in 1974 while he was writing "The Great Shark Hunt."

Hunter S. Thompson at Pepes.jpg

Like many others, I think of Palmeras as "just fine". I've eaten there voluntarily and if someone wanted to eat there, I'd go again. It's popular as a meeting place with locals who are doing business with someone from the mainland who's popping over on the ferry. It's just that I think there are better options if location isn't the primary factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom