Next Scuba Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can take off a full week (7-8 days). I could spend as much as $3000. Maybe more depending on how interested I am. I can endure long plane rides. I will be traveling alone. Maybe another friend who is certified. I enjoy nice warm climates, good visibility. I would also like to maybe take some surf lessons during this trip. But I'd also consider a live-aboard. I'm keeping an open mind at this point.
Lots of disposable income? Surfing + diving? Sounds like Hawaii to me. California might be cheaper, but last I heard el nino' had decimated their main scuba attraction - the kelp forests.

Distant travel destinations often take a couple of days to get to and from. If you're out 4 days of a week's vacation, and the torment & expense of the travel, that's a bad trade off in my book. You're U.S.-based, like me. I've been no farther diving than the Caribbean (Bonaire), and I'd plan to take 2 weeks off for a trip to, oh, say, Komodo, Palau, the Philippines, etc...

If that $3,000 includes airfare, I think you're written off some of the far distant destinations. I take solo dive trips from time to time, and I tend to budget maybe $3,500 - $4,000 or so?

You're to the far northern U.S., pretty centrally located. Check your airfare for varied destinations; after Cozumel, some of the main 1st tier destinations include Key Largo/Florida Keys (you've been), Roatan (e.g.: CocoView, Anthony's Key Resort - which is where I think ScubaBoard is doing an Invasion trip next year?), Bonaire (love it; famous for independent shore diving; I recommend going with a group your 1st time to learn how it all works, including getting around on land) and Belize (which has a lot of options; to narrow it down, consider Ambergris Caye vs. a live-aboard trip).

Not sure where you'd do warm water diving & take surfing lessons; somewhere in Florida maybe? Divers bobbing at the surface & trying to get back on dive boats don't like big waves.

Here's my trip report from a live-board trip May 2015 out of Belize (the boat's been renamed the Belize Aggressor IV). We've got a thread, Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard. The Caribbean Explorer diving St. Kitts and Saba tends to be cheaper than some other options.

If you really want cheap and don't mind roughing it, check out T.C.'s 2014 trip report from a Blackbeard's cruise.

If you want some cheap dive trip options, with costs discussed, check out Total Cost Mid-range Budget Florida & Caribbean Trips.

Richard.
I am considering a liveaboard now and have read through some of your past threads. It seems like Turks and Caicos offer the best diving in the Caribbean although all diving I'm sure is great. I would consider a liveaboard with Explorer Ventures. Do you have any other advice or good threads about diving in the Caribbean? It seems like a liveaboard offers the best diving? Or are there some excellent land based diving center?

What have you heard about Hawaii as far as diving? How does it compare to the Caribbean?

Have't dove Hawaii. A buddy of mine did a little shore diving there; from his report, but mainly from what I read, it's cooler water than some mainstream Caribbean destinations, the 'reef' is different looking, some islands have some shore diving, and which island you pick will have an impact. Plus, from the U.S. it's a pretty long plane ride I take it?

Richard.

To keep it simple, may I suggest taking up a spot on the Juliet livaboard out of Miami. You won't get your surf lessons, but plenty of diving. I had a blast on the Juliet in April.

Does your $3000 budget include airfare? If yes then you don't have many choices because that is a pretty small budget for diver travel.

Most dive vacations are priced as "per person double occupancy" so you may have to pay a hefty "single supplement" if traveling alone, or be willing to share accommodations with a stranger who is also traveling alone.

It would be better if your diving friend could travel with you to share the expense. Or you could check your local dive shop and see if they are offering any trips that you can join. They may be able to pair you with another diver traveling alone. I know that there is also a website for single divers that offers trips to various locations.

Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan is offering a "buy one, get one free" special which is pretty much the same as "no single supplement". Scuba Board is hosting a trip there in June 2017, see the link below:
ScubaBoard Invasion 2017 Roatan Package Deal

Scuba Board is also running a trip to Cayman Brac in Jan 2017, they may have a few rooms left. The single rate is $2175, and that covers just about everything (food, lodging, diving, drinks, transfers, taxes, and service charges). It doesn't cover airfare and dive op tips and there may be a charge for Nitrox. We are going to Cayman Brac in October and our airfare from Chicago is $645 round trip, so that brings you close to your $3000 budget:
Scubaboard Surge 2017 Cayman Brac Package Deal

Sometimes liveaboards will let the single diver have a cabin to him/herself without paying a supplement if the boat didn't sell out, but that is not guaranteed. The more rustic, basic style liveaboards have dormitory berths and so a supplement is not applicable.

Bonaire offers a wide range of accommodations for every budget, the diving is cheap but airfare can be expensive and as Rich said, you should go there with someone the first time to learn the ropes.

Last edited:
I am willing to spend close to $4000, maybe more if needed. Unfortunately, I will be traveling alone.

As of today, I am debating between a liveaboard in Turks and Caicos. Or going to Bonaire, but it seems to me that Bonaire would involve more planning since they do not offer liveaboards that I know of. I will also look into some liveaboards in Mexico later this afternoon.

Please reply if you have any advice/suggestions

I am willing to spend close to $4000, maybe more if needed. Unfortunately, I will be traveling alone.

As of today, I am debating between a liveaboard in Turks and Caicos. Or going to Bonaire, but it seems to me that Bonaire would involve more planning since they do not offer liveaboards that I know of. I will also look into some liveaboards in Mexico later this afternoon.

Please reply if you have any advice/suggestions

I'm considering a trip to Turks and Caicos. October 2016. I'm in the final planning stages. Everyone says great place. I have an opportunity to stay at club med for $900 for the week. Then airfare from Phoenix is about $900 or I can use ff miles. The two dive shops are highly recommended. Doesn't seem to be a need for liveaboard. This seems to be a great value. I'm probably going and then I can report back.

Been quite a few years since I have been to club med on turks. I can tell you that this is one of the youngest, wildest of the club meds... If you choose to dive with them I highly recommend you go on the early boat as the heavy party'ers will still be sleeping it off :wink: One problem with the club med dive op is that if there is weather they cannot get their cats out thru the cut in the reef. We got blown out 1 or 2 days until a dm mentioned that other dive ops going out from the southern marina were diving. We dove for the next few days with Dive Provo and they were wonderful! They went to French Cay and West Caicos which Club Med did (does?) not. $900 all inclusive for 1 week there sounds pretty darn good!

Come do a liveaboard with Explorer Ventures! Turks & Caicos is a quick and easy flight with beautiful wall diving and large and macro marine life. Also it is the best place for Kitesurfing although the wind tends to die from August - November. We also have liveaboards in St.Maarten/Saba/St.Kitts, The Maldives, and The Galapagos. With a ton of summer specials if you are looking for a deal.
Summer Specials:
Explorer Ventures Last Minute Offers
Year of Savings:
Year of Savings Specials

I used to work onboard the Turks & Caicos Explorer and continue to work for the company doing shore support here in Turks and Caicos. Message me if you have any questions at all :)

Looks like I'll doing a live aboard with Explorer Ventures on the Explorer II to Turks and Caicos. I leave this Saturday. Can't wait! Thanks everyone else for all the advice and suggestions.

Looks like I'll doing a live aboard with Explorer Ventures on the Explorer II to Turks and Caicos. I leave this Saturday. Can't wait! Thanks everyone else for all the advice and suggestions.

That's fantastic, have great trip and please post a report when you return!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom