Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

should be OK in a drysuit, but make sure you do the proper checks, i.e. can float your rig on it's own. The 133 is probably pushing it in a 30, but in a drysuit it's less of a problem unless it is a neoprene drysuit that isn't crushed

This is partly based on assuming that if needs any extra lead, he wears it on a belt and doesn't attach it to this rig, right? If he needs lead to sink himself in a dry suit and he puts weight pockets on a tank band or he puts weight pockets on his rig's waist belt, then the 30# wing might not be enough to float his rig, yes?

I'm definitely not saying he should get a bigger wing. I'm saying if this is true, it's worth noting so that filmguy is aware of the limitation and makes sure to wear any extra lead he needs on a weight belt, instead of attaching it to his rig (if he's using a really negative tank).

correct, lot's of factors with drysuits unfortunately that make weighting weird, especially in single tanks which is why I'm not a fan of diving single tanks in drysuits.

Sounds like a 35lbs wing would probably be a better bet if I was buying new...

A DSS LCD30 has been enough for me in a dry suit with a HP120 steel single tank. Not that I'm recommending that specific wing. But, I would take that wing over any comparably-sized wing that does not have a zipper to give access to the inner bladder. Personally, I would prefer a donut wing with a zipper. But, 30# of lift is likely to be adequate for you. The DSS wing is very good quality. It's just a matter of whether the design meets your needs and desires.

I haven't done a ton of traveling for diving, so maybe I'm just ignorant to it. But is it common to let the crew to set your gear up? I can't think of one dive operation in NC that the crew is going to do that for you and I think I like it that way. I mean if you ask someone they'd probably lend you a hand, but if you just showed up expecting someone to carry your tanks and set your gear up for you, you are probably going to be disappointed. Maybe I'm paranoid, but nobody is setting up my gear but me.

Diving around the world you will find every variation of setting up gear from "Do it yourself" to "Wait - please (with huge smiles) - We do that for you" (presumably for tips but not always). When diving such outfits I give them my gear bag but climb aboard the vessel wearing my BC and carrying my reg. I inform them I'd like to set up my own gear and wearing/carrying deters the most eager of dive masters.

Reading here to gain tips - I'm in the market for a BP/W.

if you're in the market for a bp/w, I regularly make trips to your Greenville for work. I'd be more than happy to bring my DSS rigs with me for you to look at it you would like on my next trip up there

Diving around the world you will find every variation of setting up gear from "Do it yourself" to "Wait - please (with huge smiles) - We do that for you" (presumably for tips but not always).
I've learned to love those operators. The first time I came across one was Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. During a SI the boat guy informed me he had swapped my gear to my full tank. I had to tell him I'd already done it and he'd just swapped me to the used tank. It was a good laugh, and all the other dives I did with that operator I let them do as much as they were willing.

In Cozumel, we dove with dive paradise. They did just about everything for you, including dropping and collecting your gear in the water. Don/doff in the water is really luxury diving, man is it great!

None of those guys had anything negative to say about my diverite bp/w. The guys in Cozumel spent some time admiring and asking about my diverite xt fins.

Don't get me wrong, I love my various bp/w setups. But if you can afford DSS, I understand they make some extremely nice equipment. If you can't, there's nothing wrong with just about any brand of bp/w. I'd even dive the funny Scubapro bp/w if someone else was springing for it :wink:.

In Cozumel, we dove with dive paradise.

I'd even dive the funny Scubapro bp/w if someone else was springing for it :wink:.

lol I thought I was the only one who found it odd to start out with a BP/W set up and then jacketize it. Thanks for legitimizing my thoughts.

I dove with Dive Paradise and Don Foster's in Cozumel. Those were some of my first experiences with someone taking my gear and setting it up before I could blink. :)

I've learned to love those operators. The first time I came across one was Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. During a SI the boat guy informed me he had swapped my gear to my full tank. I had to tell him I'd already done it and he'd just swapped me to the used tank. It was a good laugh, and all the other dives I did with that operator I let them do as much as they were willing.

In Cozumel, we dove with dive paradise. They did just about everything for you, including dropping and collecting your gear in the water. Don/doff in the water is really luxury diving, man is it great!

None of those guys had anything negative to say about my diverite bp/w. The guys in Cozumel spent some time admiring and asking about my diverite xt fins.

Don't get me wrong, I love my various bp/w setups. But if you can afford DSS, I understand they make some extremely nice equipment. If you can't, there's nothing wrong with just about any brand of bp/w. I'd even dive the funny Scubapro bp/w if someone else was springing for it :wink:.

I'm going to Little Cayman next August with a friend as a part of group. No schlepping tanks or gear. My idea of diving heaven! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom