Human Factors in Diving Skills Course Launched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a very good application to Scuba Diving of the original tenets of Crew Resource Management (CRM) :

CRM training concepts have been modified for application to a wide range of activities where people must make dangerous time-critical decisions. These arenas include air traffic control, ship handling, firefighting, and medical operating rooms.

We use it all over medicine. American Heart has incorporated it into resuscitation training too.

Agreed, you'd wonder why then considering its pedigree that it isn't more widespread in diving...maybe because it isn't a shiny piece of equipment with an easily recognisable result. When the number of reported incidents is low, and fatalities much lower, risk perception is low.

In military aviation it took more than 15 years for CRM to become part of the fabric of operations and there are still issues like landing with the gear up... Whilst healthcare and medicine have embodied HF training across the spectrum, HF isn't just about CRM training, it is taking a system's view of the problems. Checklists are not the whole solution, they are a catalyst and enabler for improved communication, situational awareness and teamwork.

If consistent issues are happening at the sharp end (diver, surgical theatre, aircrew), then it is not likely to be an individual issue, but rather a system problem. CRM/Non-technical skills can help address some of the residual issues but the true solution must come from the organisational level.

Regards

As a way of getting the message out further, I have a serious offer running for the next .

Sign up to the online micro-class, complete it and generate a completion certificate with Accredible, leave a review and enter the draw to win for $125 (£100 but converted to USD) in Amazon.com vouchers.

Review HF Skills in Diving Micro-class - Win £100 in Amazon Vouchers for more details.

Learn. Improve. Win...!

Regards

Given that its lobster season in Florida, I thought this might have been a little more popular...as it is, only 3 people have signed up, so they are all winners at the moment!!

If you are worried about staying focussed for 3 hrs, it is made up of 9 modules of approximately 15 mins each which can be watched wherever and whenever you have a data connection, including on a mobile phone or tablet.

Any questions, just ask away.

I recently signed up and completed the online micro-class, "Human Factors Skills in Diving" facilitated by Gareth Lock. The Human Factors Skills in Diving program develops and improves the knowledge, skills, and safety of all divers. It consists of an online course and classroom instruction. I plan to attend a full course in person coming to Seattle, Washington, in the United States this December.

As a recreational and technical scuba diving instructor, understanding the decision making process, being situationally aware, maintain good communication, and working together as a team are paramount. Even instructors should keep learning. After completing the course, I was motivated to think about my own scuba diving continuing education as well as what additional factors I want my students to learn. When in a crisis situation, being prepared is the best option.

I highly recommend this course and will update my review once I complete the full, in-person course.

Human Factors Skills in Diving Online Mini-Course

Back
Top Bottom