Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Cozumel in December 2014 and had a great experience with Living Underwater run by Jeremy. We did 3 dives and each one was better than the other. His boat was fast and comfortable, his crew was very professional and he was a great dive master. Hope this helps.

Anyone have any experience with Deep Blue? Have a one day cruise stop in Nov and they seem to be as close to the Carnival terminal as anyone, competitive prices ($80 per 2 tank including tax), 6-8 divers per covered boat. Equip. rental rates seem as good or better than any of the others ($12/full set).

Anyone have any experience with Deep Blue? Have a one day cruise stop in Nov and they seem to be as close to the Carnival terminal as anyone, competitive prices ($80 per 2 tank including tax), 6-8 divers per covered boat. Equip. rental rates seem as good or better than any of the others ($12/full set).

As you are posting on yet another of one the longest running threads regarding coz dive ops... I'd say chose from the top 10 list that were the first mentioned here over the first several days... You'll notice, Deep Blue did not make that list...

Aldora
Blue Angel
Blue Magic
Blue XT Sea
Bottom Time Divers
Dive with Allison
Dive with Martin
Liquid Blue
Living Underwater
Tres Pelicanos

Maybe try posting your question under a new thread to get responses from those who have been diving with Deep Blue from cruise ships. Then again, if you post under a new thread it seems everyone is just going to mention the same top 10 in response as the days go by... Just as happened here.

Last edited:
I've done hundreds of dives with Deep Blue over the years and don't do any cheerleading unless they make sense for the person asking. For instance, they leave from a downtown pier at about 9am. If you stay downtown and don't want to rush getting on a boat, they're a great choice. Same with cruise ship divers. Deep Blue has been around for a long time and they have multiple boats (3?). They won some kind of service award a few years ago. They have good DMs and dive instructors. Since you're a one day diver, you'll be on the non-advanced boat, which simply means you won't go to advanced sites. I read a post awhile back where it was suggested that one day divers, or cruise ship divers aren't taken to the "good" reefs. Certainly not the case with Deep Blue. For the SI, you'll get water and fruit, and you'll either go to a beach club (Paradise) or to the dock in the jungle. Small, fast, covered boats. You'll probably be on the Pegasus, which holds about 10 divers, but there will be multiple DMs.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the aforementioned "top ten list", is a list of the top 10 dive operators on Cozumel, or that a shop not on that list is somehow inferior. It's more appropriately a list of the dive ops with the most vocal cheerleaders and has nothing to do with being "the best". As you've read, one of those shops has already been discounted by someone that was diving with them.

I've only been diving with 4 ops on Cozumel. One of them is on the list above and likely not the shop that was discounted by the other poster. In the week I dove with them, the shop wasn't bad, but I'd rather dive with Deep Blue, or another one of the shops I've experienced, which also didn't make "the list".

I'd say chose from the top 10 list that were the first mentioned here over the first several days
Hardly an objective study of unbiased opinions - not in the least. Just cheerleading. Anecdotal popularity is an indication, but nothing more.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the aforementioned "top ten list", is a list of the top 10 dive operators on Cozumel, or that a shop not on that list is somehow inferior. It's more appropriately a list of the dive ops with the most vocal cheerleaders and has nothing to do with being "the best".
Exactly.

As you've read, one of those shops has already been discounted by someone that was diving with them.
And that's just one person's hidden agenda. I have had some bad op experiences on various travels, but I didn't mind naming names and stating why. The worst that comes to my mind has reportedly cleaned up its act since tho and is now a good op, or so I've heard from sources I respect. Too, any op can have a bad day and any tourist can have a bad experience that may have little to do with the quality of the op - so write that off as a vague rumor.

I've done hundreds of dives with Deep Blue over the years and don't do any cheerleading unless they make sense for the person asking. For instance, they leave from a downtown pier at about 9am. If you stay downtown and don't want to rush getting on a boat, they're a great choice. Same with cruise ship divers. Deep Blue has been around for a long time and they have multiple boats (3?). They won some kind of service award a few years ago. They have good DMs and dive instructors. Since you're a one day diver, you'll be on the non-advanced boat, which simply means you won't go to advanced sites. I read a post awhile back where it was suggested that one day divers, or cruise ship divers aren't taken to the "good" reefs. Certainly not the case with Deep Blue. For the SI, you'll get water and fruit, and you'll either go to a beach club (Paradise) or to the dock in the jungle. Small, fast, covered boats. You'll probably be on the Pegasus, which holds about 10 divers, but there will be multiple DMs.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the aforementioned "top ten list", is a list of the top 10 dive operators on Cozumel, or that a shop not on that list is somehow inferior. It's more appropriately a list of the dive ops with the most vocal cheerleaders and has nothing to do with being "the best". As you've read, one of those shops has already been discounted by someone that was diving with them.

I've only been diving with 4 ops on Cozumel. One of them is on the list above and likely not the shop that was discounted by the other poster. In the week I dove with them, the shop wasn't bad, but I'd rather dive with Deep Blue, or another one of the shops I've experienced, which also didn't make "the list".

Excellent post, imo.

Deep Blue is one of the shops that offer afternoon dives, which is why I bolded the sentence about the time.

I've never dove with them, but they are on my personal short list, again as I refuse to set my alarm while I'm on vacation.

As you are posting on yet another of one the longest running threads regarding coz dive ops... I'd say chose from the top 10 list that were the first mentioned here over the first several days... You'll notice, Deep Blue did not make that list...

Aldora
Blue Angel
Blue Magic
Blue XT Sea
Bottom Time Divers
Dive with Allison
Dive with Martin
Liquid Blue
Living Underwater
Tres Pelicanos

Maybe try posting your question under a new thread to get responses from those who have been diving with Deep Blue from cruise ships. Then again, if you post under a new thread it seems everyone is just going to mention the same top 10 in response as the days go by... Just as happened here.

Not really the answer I was looking for. I read the entire thread and noticed your top 10 list already. I appreciate those who answered my question about Deep Blue. With my ship getting in at 7 a.m. their 9 a.m. departure time appealed to me. I was merely asking if anyone had any experience with them - pro or con.

Thanks for the EXCELLENT response. Precisely what I was looking for.

And that's just one person's hidden agenda. I have had some bad op experiences on various travels, but I didn't mind naming names and stating why.

What??? "Hidden agenda"??? I find that characterization of my posts of my posts extremely offensive.
Just what "hidden agenda" do you believe I have????

I have an op that I dive exclusively with in Coz because they provided exactly the kind of service that I look for. I did not know anyone associated with that dive op before diving with them and I have never worked for that op or with anyone that is associated with that op.

I have dove five Caribbean islands, Kauai (with three different ops), Coz (with four different ops), and several islands in Fiji (6 different ops), and of all the ops I have dove with the one I now dive exclusively with in Coz is the I would prefer to dive with over any of the others (including the op I ran as part of the Dive resort I ran in Fiji. The tie breaker being my preference for their main dive boat, as opposed to any of the boats we had at the resort I managed).

Given the preceding information, why wouldn't I recommend that dive op to others? Nothing hidden about my dive op of choice, or why they are my dive op of choice.

Someone indicated that a "bad" dive up would not last long in Coz because of the intense competition. Since I dove with an op in Coz my first trip there that I consider to be a "bad" dive op because they fall far short on several of the things I look for in a dive op, I pointed out that in my opinion it is possible for a "bad" dive op to exist and even prosper on Coz if they positioned themselves in the right way. To me, they are a bad dive op based on my experiences with them over three different days of diving. Not dangerous but, in my opinion, not a good op. I cant see how any experienced diver that has dove with good dive ops would choose to dive with them. But, since I don't think they are necessarily dangerous, I don't see any reason to name them in public.

Not really the answer I was looking for. I read the entire thread and noticed your top 10 list already. I appreciate those who answered my question about Deep Blue. With my ship getting in at 7 a.m. their 9 a.m. departure time appealed to me. I was merely asking if anyone had any experience with them - pro or con.
My first rule on picking boats is "When can I go?" There are some cattle boat ops on Coz I'd want to avoid and suggest the same to others, but Deep Blue doesn't seem to be one of them. Mstevens dives with them (earlier this month) so I'd think they were fine, better anecdotal evidence than the first 10 mentioned list anyway. With less than 50 dives and this your first time to Coz, I think you'll be impressed. I can understand not wanting to take a whole dive kit on a pod barge, but do take your own mask, snorkel, and fins to use. You'll want those on some other port stops anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom