MAKO Spearguns: Those Darn CAR KEYS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Surf/Dive Key Lock Box

Surfers and Divers! Store your car keys in the MAKO Spearguns Key Lock Box while at the beach.

Crack heads, meth heads and other thieves regularly target surfers and divers. They watch where you hide your keys (under wheel well, bumper,backpack). Then they wait for you to enter the water.

With the Key Lock Box your keys are kept secure at your car - no need to worry while in the water, simply secure the Key Lock Box to your car door handle, wheel, trailer hitch, or any secure location on your vehicle.

Don't be the next victim!

Features

• Rubber and vinyl coating DOES NOT SCRATCH VEHICLE!
    • Made of durable cast metal
    • Rain Proof
    • Selectable and changeable combination
    • Fits modern electronic keys and key fobs
Key Lock Box | MAKO Spearguns

key-lock-box.jpg

key-lock-box-car-door.jpg

key-lock-box-cover-open.jpg

key-lock-box-door-lock.jpg

key-lock-box-on-hitch.jpg

key-lock-box-on-wheel.jpg

A good idea, but not all that hot a deal. Amazon, Home Depot, et al. are in the $20 - $30 range, is yours better that theirs?

Surf/Dive Key Lock Box

Surfers and Divers! Store your car keys in the MAKO Spearguns Key Lock Box while at the beach.

Crack heads, meth heads and other thieves regularly target surfers and divers. They watch where you hide your keys (under wheel well, bumper,backpack). Then they wait for you to enter the water.

With the Key Lock Box your keys are kept secure at your car - no need to worry while in the water, simply secure the Key Lock Box to your car door handle, wheel, trailer hitch, or any secure location on your vehicle.

Don't be the next victim!

Features

• Rubber and vinyl coating DOES NOT SCRATCH VEHICLE!
    • Made of durable cast metal
    • Rain Proof
    • Selectable and changeable combination
    • Fits modern electronic keys and key fobs
Key Lock Box | MAKO Spearguns

key-lock-box.jpg

key-lock-box-car-door.jpg

key-lock-box-cover-open.jpg

key-lock-box-door-lock.jpg

key-lock-box-on-hitch.jpg

key-lock-box-on-wheel.jpg

These look pretty nice. I'm a currently unemployed engineer so I have little money but plenty of free time. If you feel like hooking me up with one I'll be glad to run it through it's paces and see how sturdy & useful they are (I have 6 cars & trucks in my driveway to check them out on!) and provide an unbiased review. Or feel free not to but someone's got to ask :eyebrow:.

A good idea, but not all that hot a deal. Amazon, Home Depot, et al. are in the $20 - $30 range, is yours better that theirs?

By the looks of it I would say it is. The $20 locks are painted metal where as the Mako lock is coated in rubber. Also, the cheap $20 locks leave the combo pad exposed to the elements, unlike the Mako one which has a protective cover. I think that is important since we know what saltwater and sand do to locks. It would suck to finish a dive and not be able to access your keys because sand and/or corrosion fouled the lock.

Seems like the extra $15 for this lock would be worth it. I think those cheap HD locks wont last as long as Mako's lock. They're really designed for realtors and residential properties, not the beach or marina.

As a preventative measure I would keep them maintained with a little Corrosion X from time to time.

(EDIT: Not to mention I'd rather support a small business dive manufacturer than a big Corp.)

Looks like a wide open invitation for bolt cutters. I'll keep my keys with me in an Otterbox, thank you very much.

Wouldn't keeping the key fob that close to the car allow anyone to just walk up and open a keyless system?

My g/f's fob for her Jeep has to be pretty close to a front door before it will let you open the door. I think having the box locked to a loop on the towing hitch receiver would be too far for it to let anyone open the door.

Side note: It is really annoying that Ford is the only car company that puts a keypad on the door for locking/unlocking. My last couple of Fords had that and it was super awesome for situations where you want to leave the key inside the vehicle (shore dives, riding dirt bikes in the woods, leaving a vehicle for someone else to pick up, etc.). I can only guess that Ford must have patented the "invention" and won't license it to any of the other car companies. I have a Dodge now and have wished for that feature back many times.

Looks like a wide open invitation for bolt cutters. I'll keep my keys with me in an Otterbox, thank you very much.

That has long been my thinking about lockboxes on vehicles. Thieves might reasonably believe you left not only your car keys but also your whole wallet in there--money, ID, credit cards.

Thanks for the positive comments.. CuzzA pretty much nailed it.. but please allow me to address some of the reasons to buy this particular lock box.

Some of the generic "locks" are intended to hold a single house key, this one is considerably larger and will accommodate a key fob and also the modern car keys that have an integrated FOB.

Some of the others aren't intended for a car so they don't have vinyl tubing over the locking loop or hook. The MAKO product also have soft rubber coating - both of which are intended to protect the paint on the car.

And also as mentioned, this is designed for outdoor use and exposure to the elements..so we have a waterproof cover for the tumbler assembly.

As for the bolt cutter.. I'm not really sure if cutting it off the car will actually open the lock box.. possibly.. but if the crack head shows up with bolt cutters, it is probably easier to smash the window with the bolt cutters and grab what they can..

I

You should franchise this to the car rental agencies on Bonaire...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom