Mares Puck Pro Price Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen it jump back and forth twice since I recommended one about a week ago. Right now - Saturday evening - it's back to $169 currently.

Is the download cable worth purchasing for anyone that has it? or is is pretty easy to get the info off the computer to manually add to dive log?

There is a thread on making your own cable, if you are so inclined.

:rofl3: (at myself trying to make a cable!)

Luckily Puck cables are about the cheapest of all.

I think typically about all you get off the computer manually is dive time and max depth. What you download is the table of time and depth points at the logging rate: every 30 seconds, or 20, or whatever (on some of them it's configurable). Imagine writing that down off a 2" segment LCD screen...

Whether that is worth having is another question. I can't read my own handwriting half the time, I wouldn't want to keep a hand-written log myself even if it were just the date, time, and max depth. YMMV.

Luckily Puck cables are about the cheapest of all.

I think typically about all you get off the computer manually is dive time and max depth. What you download is the table of time and depth points at the logging rate: every 30 seconds, or 20, or whatever (on some of them it's configurable). Imagine writing that down off a 2" segment LCD screen...

Whether that is worth having is another question. I can't read my own handwriting half the time, I wouldn't want to keep a hand-written log myself even if it were just the date, time, and max depth. YMMV.
Leisure pro offered a price of ~200 for the puck pro and Iris PC infrared interface, I emailed back and ask if that included the PC cable and was told I didn't need a cable??

The IR interface clips onto where the cable goes. It uses IR instead of a wire.

Leisure pro offered a price of ~200 for the puck pro and Iris PC infrared interface, I emailed back and ask if that included the PC cable and was told I didn't need a cable??

Sounds like a terminology mismatch. Technically, it's "PC interface": Some use special USB cable, pucks use IR (which is a downside as it's the 90s tech that's going out of style) receiver at the end of a USB cable. Higher-end computers come with bluetooth built-in and don't need one.

Back
Top Bottom