Grand park Royal any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefZombie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I think I've narrowed down my accommodation plans in cozumel in November to either staying at the grand park royal all inclusive and diving with tres pelicanos or doing the stay and dive package with blue angel. The former will be cheaper overall because drinks and food are included while the latter offers free shore dives.

Has anyone stayed at Grand park royal? It seems to be rated very well on expedia, but I wouldn't mind some insight on possible hidden fees, quality of food and drink options, quality of accommodations, etc.

We stayed there a couple of years ago, for a first return to CZM after a long absence. Only downside some might find is that you have to pay a fee to Aquaworld to have another dive op pick you up at their dock. The upside is that you walk right past the beach bar and grill once you get off the boat. We loved the food and the room was very comfortable.

Have been staying there since 1997 and love it. Was just there again in June 2016.

BUT I go with a non-diving spouse and AI is pretty much her requirement. I dive, she gets AI. Works out great.

Food is great. Lots of options from 3 reservation restaurants, 1 indoor AC'd buffet, 2 outdoor snack shacks (1 serves wings and crispy chicken sandwhiches - other serves hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza - all great). 3 pools, 3 swim up bars, 1 indoor AC'd sports bar open till 2am, small compact layout of hotel vs the larger AI's down south etc.

Wrist band to use Aquadeaths pier is $8. I attach it to my over shoulder dive bag. $8 is no biggie for a week or whatever time you are doing.

Some nice new things at the GPR as of June 2016:
- they now do 24 hour room service to rooms - set menu.
- Gellato/Espresso shop (free!) that is FRIGGEN AWESOME - the gellato is LEGIT and great
- Wifi - free and paid. Free is meh, paid is $29 for 1 week and works GREAT. Got reception all over property and in room. Well worth it. Speeds were decent too (5-10mb down depending on time of day)

I prefer the GPR as for me, it is the best bang for the $ AI close to town as we like to go to town multiple times. You can walk too if you like.

If you need/want AI or have a non diving spouse - its the best IMHO.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

I usually stay at Casa del Mar, just north (toward town) of the Park Royal. You could walk to town, but it's *quite* a walk. I've done it once, and there were occasional stops due to some rain, but it was over an hour. A taxi from the PR to town is (was) 80 pesos. It may still be 80 pesos. PR also has a "beach" type of beach, not just a sea wall with sand behind it.

You won't need to use the pier if diving with TP. They'll transport you by car or truck rather than by boat.

Blue XT Sea picked me up at the pier daily. Was very nice and convenient. I see Living Underwater and several others there as well. Just do NOT use Aquaworld lol.

some friends stayed there a few years back while we were on the island. the ONLY water they could get was from the bar in a plastic cup. no coolers on the room floors, no refrigerators so you could stock your own.

Service at the restaurants was VERY slow. We stopped to see them, they had already been waiting 45 min. for their appetizers. We went to eat somewhere else, and drove past, they were still in the restaurant and it looked like they just got their entrees. they also said it wasn't worth the wait. most meals were mediocre at best.

maybe things have improved.

Just a little. All rooms have fridges (stocked). You can get bottles from the gellato shop. If you want to buy big bottles there is a gift shop on site and an XOXO 1 block away.

Service has been excellent the last 5 years I have been there. Food is very good, reservation restaurants are good as well. Not Guidos, Condessa, Kinta, Bucannos good, but def not as bad as Sharky makes it out to be lol.

Its the best AI choice if you have a non diving spouse who doesn't want to pay for every. single. thing. she. wants. with pesos converted to dollars etc.

Just a little. All rooms have fridges (stocked). You can get bottles from the gellato shop. If you want to buy big bottles there is a gift shop on site and an XOXO 1 block away.

Service has been excellent the last 5 years I have been there. Food is very good, reservation restaurants are good as well. Not Guidos, Condessa, Kinta, Bucannos good, but def not as bad as Sharky makes it out to be lol.

Its the best AI choice if you have a non diving spouse who doesn't want to pay for every. single. thing. she. wants. with pesos converted to dollars etc.

We've only stayed there the one time, but we will definitely go back, based on the excellent experience we had, validated by your repeating experiences.

Thanks for the clarification!

We have stayed there many times. Always get a room 5th floor or above and we prefer the wing away from the theater ( I think the odd numbered rooms) . It is not friendly to those who may be handicapped or have walking issues as the walkways are very uneven. We haven't been back since they changed to Grand Park Royal as the prices went sky high for quite a while. It seems they have come back down to the previous level. We stay for a month (2 weeks in town and 2 weeks at PR when we have our friends with non diving wives. Tres Pelicanos picked us up and drove us to and from the Caleta.

Back
Top Bottom