Need weight bag recommendations - non diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My GF is an avid diver, she just picked up a dry suit and now has additional weights to drag around when she dives. She's been complaining about needing to pick up a bag for weights and I'd like to pick something up for her.

I am a non diver, and I can self educate by reading reviews on bags... BUT, what should I be looking for?

Can anyone help with recommendations? or specs that I should look for?

Thanks for the help!

You can get something fancy, or you can get something like this canvas mechanic's bag available at surplus stores.

Ten years and going strong, mind you only fresh water.

Akona makes a nice weight bag and our shop uses the Akona bags for the rental weights.
653014m4_ts.jpg

Thanks guys, the Akona bags appeared to be very popular when I searched them.
They didn't come with a shoulder strap though, and I thought that was kind of odd, is that normal?

I don't think that weight bags usually have a shoulder strap. I think that it would be uncomfortable...

you simply carry around weights fixed on belt ...?? what is problem? bag would be havier ;-)

The bag is for the extra weights that you have as conditions change or spares for friends. At least that is what I use mine for. Even diving in the exact same location requires more or less weight a different times of year.

As for the bag, I got a tool bag at Lowe's that looks like the Akona but was only about $5 because it isn't a "dive" bag.

Edit:

If this is a gift get the Akona! They are available on Amazon if you don't have a shop nearby. It will cost more than mine but she will probably appreciate it more.

Last edited:
I have the Akona from ~10 years ago, and it's still holding up perfectly. It never gets zipped up, so no idea how durable the zipper is. It holds a stupid amount of weight. I typically have to use two hands to move it around. Much of the year it basically just lives in the back of the truck, occasionally getting moved in and out to the garage. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

As mentioned above, it typically holds all of the 'extra' weights - I keep what I'm currently using in my DUI Weight and Trim harness. My wife dives integrated so hers move in and out of the weight bag.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy the Akona again..

I got a plastic ammo case at Harbor Freight for about $5. It's strudy, has a good closure, is easy to carry, holds way more weight than I need and there's is no chance of mildew making a smelly mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom