Ranger Vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One advantage the ranger has over the BP/W is that newb divers on cattle boats won't give you weird looks and they will accept you as one of the herd if you are wearing a jacket. Other than that I can't think of any other advantage a Ranger has over a BP/W.
A Ranger is very good for what it is. It is an excellent jacket for people that like jackets. I have one but haven't used it in a long time, not since I went old school and started using a plastic blowmold backpack. Sometimes I attach a wing to it and sometimes I don't. But I do mostly shore dives or river and swimming hole dives with a metal detector or I go looking for fossils. These are usually shallow water dives. A lot of the time I dive until I am low on air and then I just stand up and wade to shore lol. My old Scubapro blowmold backpack with a steel 72 on it serves me very well for this type of diving. I also often overweight myself on purpose because it is difficult to stay in one place on the bottom and dig a target if I my buoyancy is fine tuned. I end up getting pushed around by the surf in shallow water. I wear enough weight so that I hit the bottom with a thud and a cloud of sand like an anchor hitting bottom. I have a steel BP but for this type of diving I find the contour of the plastic backpack to be a little more comfortable in a t-shirt or bare skin and they have handles on them that make lugging tanks around easy compared to a metal BP. And plastic backpacks are dirt cheap compared to a steel plate. But this is a specialized use and I think a regular metal BP is better for most other types of diving.
I think the Ranger and most jackets have too much padding and I don't care much for integrated weights. I mostly solo dive and integrated weights just make the rig uncomfortably heavy to don by flipping it over my head.

Last edited:
One advantage the ranger has over the BP/W is that newb divers on cattle boats won't give you weird looks and they will accept you as one of the herd if you are wearing a jacket. Other than that I can't think of any other advantage a Ranger has over a BP/W.
A Ranger is very good for what it is. It is an excellent jacket for people that like jackets. I have one but haven't used it in a long time, not since I went old school and started using a plastic blowmold backpack. Sometimes I attach a wing to it and sometimes I don't. But I do mostly shore dives or river and swimming hole dives with a metal detector or I go looking for fossils. These are usually shallow water dives. A lot of the time I dive until I am low on air and then I just stand up and wade to shore lol. My old Scubapro blowmold backpack with a steel 72 on it serves me very well for this type of diving. I also often overweight myself on purpose because it is difficult to stay in one place on the bottom and dig a target if I my buoyancy is fine tuned. I end up getting pushed around by the surf in shallow water. I wear enough weight so that I hit the bottom with a thud and a cloud of sand like an anchor hitting bottom. I have a steel BP but for this type of diving I find the contour of the plastic backpack to be a little more comfortable in a t-shirt or bare skin and they have handles on them that make lugging tanks around easy compared to a metal BP. And plastic backpacks are dirt cheap compared to a steel plate. But this is a specialized use and I think a regular metal BP is better for most other types of diving.
I think the Ranger and most jackets have too much padding and I don't care much for integrated weights. I mostly solo dive and integrated weights just make the rig uncomfortably heavy to don by flipping it over my head.
I found an old Healthways blow moulded back pack in the free bin at my LDS. Of all the plastic packs that one seems to be about the best I've found for myself. I'll try to attach a pic from my phone if I can do that somehow here (I don't know how smart phone friendly this site is?).
Anyway, I like it so much that I'm tempted to pull a mould off it and make one out of fiberglass or carbon. I'm also going to mould a STA of sorts so I can use a small wing like a 18# Mach V or similar. It has two recessed areas where a small set of doubles was supposed to bolt up. I could make an composite or hand formed aluminum tank bracket to hold cam bands and sandwich a wing in between that and the pack. It would become my go-to light weight travel pack.

I also often overweight myself on purpose because it is difficult to stay in one place on the bottom and dig a target if I my buoyancy is fine tuned.

If it is the right amount of weight for the dive, I don't see how you are overweighted.

Anyway, I like it so much that I'm tempted to pull a mould off it and make one out of fiberglass or carbon. I'm also going to mould a STA of sorts so I can use a small wing like a 18# Mach V or similar. It has two recessed areas where a small set of doubles was supposed to bolt up. I could make an composite or hand formed aluminum tank bracket to hold cam bands and sandwich a wing in between that and the pack. It would become my go-to light weight travel pack.

Put me on your short list for one. Do I need to send the money before or after you have one made?

Bob

Many of the blow mold backpacks were used to make bcd's like the Seaquest horseshoe shaped bladder ones. They came with a plastic plate that sandwiched the bc material to the backpack and acted as a tank gripper.
That is what I use to attach a wing to my backpack and it works perfectly. The only problem with the backpacks is the hole spacing is not a standard 11" like on metal backplates. It is usually somewhere around 8" to 10" or so. But many wings have multiple holes on them. I used a Ranger wing with the two straps instead of a full gusset and it fits perfectly, although the ranfer wing is a bit too large for a single tank. I'm going to get a single tank donut wing soon and see how that works. Btw you can also use doubles on the plastic backpacks but a metal plate is better for that.

@Bob BDF most people would think 24lb of lead with no wetsuit or bcd to be overweighted. But you're right, for the purpose I'm not overweighted.
I'll post a couple pics of my backpacks when I get off work so people can see how I attach the bladder to them.

I started diving with a classic BCD, then bought a Zeagle Ranger. I loved it. I kept diving it when I moved into tech diving with my twin steel 104's. Again, I loved it.

Then I tried a stainless backplate and wing (Agir) and found I could be neutral buoyance in the water with no weight added. With the Zeagle I needed 20lbs to be neutral (10 each pouch). The *only* change to the gear was zeagle vs. bp&w.

Since then I've used the backplate and 40lb Agir wing exclusively. What I love about the BP&W is that I can use it with my rebreather, or with a single tank adapter when teaching open circuit. I now have two indentical SS backplates and Agir 40lb wings simply because I got tired of swapping stuff when moving from Prism to open circuit.

I do use the DUI weight & trim harness to hold hard weights for diving open circuit. I don't need the weights for rebreather, so the harness is an easy way to go.

But I absolutely love the BP&W setup.

I ordered a set of these off ebay and they should arrive soon. They are called travel tank bands. There are still a few sets left and the price is right. They look like they are made to work with the blow mold backpacks. The listing says they will work with plates or bc's.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 49
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I didn't get around to taking pics yet but this is basically what I have done. I'm using a Zeagle wing instead of the Aquatec wing. The Zeagle wing with 44lb of lift really is way too large for a single tank but I'm going to go to a smaller wing soon as I find enough loose change under my couch cushions. That Aquatec wing has 48lb of lift!
I thought I was the only one doing this with plastic backpacks but it looks like the Chinese beat me to it and have them for sale on ebay too

AQUATEC TecDive Back Dive BCD Buoyancy Compensator Scuba Diving BC-003

Damn them for stealing my idea lol. But yeah, it's just a generic blowmold backpack with a harness and a single tank wing. This is probably the lightest rig for travel that could possibly be set up. Those blow mold backpacks weigh practically nothing. The harness, cam strap and wing actually weigh much more than the backpack. I weighed mine before I put it together and the plastic backpack weighed 17oz or just a hair over a lb. I don't think there is anything available on the market that weighs less than that and can still support a tank.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
I didn't get around to taking pics yet but this is basically what I have done. I'm using a Zeagle wing instead of the Aquatec wing. The Zeagle wing with 44lb of lift really is way too large for a single tank but I'm going to go to a smaller wing soon as I find enough loose change under my couch cushions. That Aquatec wing has 48lb of lift!
I thought I was the only one doing this with plastic backpacks but it looks like the Chinese beat me to it and have them for sale on ebay too

AQUATEC TecDive Back Dive BCD Buoyancy Compensator Scuba Diving BC-003

Damn them for stealing my idea lol. But yeah, it's just a generic blowmold backpack with a harness and a single tank wing. This is probably the lightest rig for travel that could possibly be set up. Those blow mold backpacks weigh practically nothing. The harness, cam strap and wing actually weigh much more than the backpack. I weighed mine before I put it together and the plastic backpack weighed 17oz or just a hair over a lb. I don't think there is anything available on the market that weighs less than that and can still support a tank.
Well there's stuff lighter out there but they're fabric so I don't classify them as a "plate" or "pack". I don't know what to call them. The plastic blow moulded packs ARE the lightest hard pack out there. Until someone comes out with a moulded carbon fiber back pack that is similar in shape but upgraded to easily take a modern wing and two cam straps.

Back
Top Bottom