Mask Clearing Anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're near a beach in QLD you could start with short underwater swims (just breathholding) & freedives in the sea with your eyes open: salt water usually doesn't sting nearly as bad as chlorinated pool water. Depends on salinity, though. Once you're used to having your eyes open under water you're half way there -- the other half is not getting water up your nose (which, again, doesn't suck as much when it's saline and not chlorine).

It's well worth getting used to because letting some water in and sloshing it around is how you defog your mask when the stuff you applied pre-dive fails to work.
Was diving at the weekend and, due to not taking enough time to make sure my mask was perfectly, had small leaks during the dive. Not a problem as it didn't sting at all and as you say worked perfectly to clear any fogging. Pool water on the other hand always stings my eyes a lot (hence doing mask clears & mask removal & replace for me in a pool was always eyes shut).

Get used to being in the water and occasionally take your mask off. Get used to being a little uncomfortable, so you get used to overcoming your fear and stress. You're not used to being in an situation where you can't see clearly and that's a little unnerving. Hell, I actually swim around with just a little water in my mask so if it fogs up any, I just swish the water around. Then again, I love being in the waterwater. Probably why I went USCG back in he day.

Hi Everyone! I just did my first open water dive today and loved it, BUT panicked at first due to mask clearing. Now I have read every tip and trick on the internet, I have had 2 instructors show me, Im even married to a PADI MSDT who has gone over it all with me. Now if anyone who has had this happen to them (and I mean really panicked, bolted to surface in pool, and felt sick thinking about doing it) can share their experience with me I would be so appreciative. I absolutely love being down there, but this small skill is causing me so much trouble its ridiculous. How do you get past everyone saying it will be fine just do it! To ACTUALLY doing it without panic.....Thanks :)

I am a newbie too. Just a month ago I could not go underwater without holding my nose, not even for a few seconds. When I decided that I wanted to dive I knew that I would have to overcome that. I started by holding the side of a pool and just sinking while blowing out my nose gently. Then I learned to glide a few feet with my face underwater. But what helped me most was to use a snorkel, no mask, and practice going under while breathing in through the snorkel and out my nose. Did that until I was very comfortable. I am very proud to say I just finished my contained water skill dives and did very well! Next weekend will do our check out dives. I wish you all the best, and I understand your anxiety. Just make up your mind that you won't let this one skill stand in your way, and get all the practice you can.

shallow end of pool no mask and practice breathing on reg with out mask until you get comfortable.

Casey, I developed the same problem after a long break from diving without a refresher. The shallow end of the pool exercise mentioned above worked for me. Good luck!

Don't let this stop you. In my training like others said I was rushing it and in one exercise I sucked water up my nose and down my throat while on a 20ft deep platform. It strangled me so I had to go to the surface. That really got in my head! Know what I learned? Slow down. And even when I was strangled some i could still breath. But was it scary? You better believe it! I started to pinch my nose at first when my mask was flooded or off just so I could take a few breaths and not rush. This gave me a comfort level. Then I started to simply sit in the shallows with no mask on and breath from my reg. I can now go under without a mask and breath under water fine. I also noticed by doing this I simply created muscle memory and now my body just seems to know how to breath when I go under without a mask. I practice this every time I get in the water. Im finding my self now clearing my mask at 50' and months ago I would have been terrified to do that. Don't let this hold you back. But don't rush it. Practice at YOUR pace and you will get there.

Glad to hear I am not the only one. Took my OW confined pool part this past weekend and this was the hardest skill for me. I was to the point of unhinging and got out of the water on day 1. I was okay at the clearing it was the no mask I would suck up water with my nose. The instructor calmed me down on day 2 let me hold my nose which got me through taking the mask off for 60 seconds and the no mask swim. After class I am still freaking out about the OW dives next weekend to the point debating if I want to do scuba. This makes me feel better and it looks like I need to find some pool time.

I just got OW certified in the spring. I thought I had the whole thing down until I had a panic moment and then struggled to get things working again. I tried a bunch of things an tried to quit.
The trick that worked for me to was to keep my face tilted down a bit until I had things under control.
They say tip your head back (face up) a bit and blow while holding top of mask. That's all great for the last little bit in the mask. Necessary to get that last bit out.
However, I found I was tilting my head back too early. The air in my sinuses would just flow out, therefore water in.
Keeping my face down kept the bubbles trapped in my nose/sinuses. Doesn't take much, just a little tip down.
I practiced with a snorkel in the bathroom sink/tub. Face in sink for 15 minutes with no mask, just snorkel.
I got to where I could swim laps in the pool with no mask, as long as I stayed face down.

It's funny, my instructors were great throughout this whole experience. However nobody every suggested I keep my face down a bit. Didn't see many comments about that online either. Once I mentioned it to people, they were like, duh. Don't put your face up. Seemed obvious in hindsight...

Different things work for different people. YMMV. Hope my experience helps someone someday.

When we did the face mask off for 60 seconds they had us put on chin on our chest so the bubbles would not mess us up. It helps but I still hate it. When I clear I do the head down and lift the bottom sides a little as I lift my head. I am okay for the most part clearing.

Last edited:
I'm still new to diving so can't recommend a lot but here is one thing that helped me which I haven't seen in comments yet.
I had troubles clearing the mask as well (apparently I wasn't blocking the mouth passage completely thus some air would escape through mouth/reg giving not enough air pressure when exhaling through nose for mask to be cleared.
Couldn't figure it out and tried different ways but to no avail until one of the instructors saw some bubbles going from my reg during mask clearing and advised me to use my tongue as a block and put it in front of reg ( or touching roof of the mouth) in order to stop exhaling from mouth.
Worked like a charm on 1st attempt and no issues with mask clearing since then.
I guess everybody has different issues and gotta try different ways of coping with them

It is mostly your mind panicking after detecting water near your nose. You have control your mind and let it know its ok because you can still breathe. One way to practise this is to go underwater without the mask in the first place and try breathing. Your first few breathe ins will have to be forced to let your mind know that your nose will NOT draw water in. After a couple of attempts your mind will get used to it and you will breathe normally.
Then you can attempt the same first with mask underwater and tickle in a little water. Focus on breathing in with your mouth only. Again after a couple of successful breaths, your mind will automatically block off the nose from drawing in any water.
Practise makes it perfect! Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom