Light, but stiff travel fin: Oceanic Accel or Hollis F2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Wife and I are facing some very tight baggage limits for an upcoming warm water trip and won't be able to bring our SP Jet fins. Trying to find a (much) lighter, but still reasonably stiff open heel fin, that works for all kicks (frog, back, helicopter, etc). Two recommendations I've seen mentioned are the Oceanic Accel and Hollis F2. Anyone have any thoughts on either for our described needs? Another fin you'd suggest instead? For anyone who has these fins already, could you comment on actual dry weight (with size) if you can get your hands on a scale? Thanks so much!

I had an Accel and sold it, it did not fit my foot, it was too big, but it seemed OK, although I only used it on one dive.
Now have the F2, fits fine and works fine.Both are terrific to travel with.
Weights: I weighed my Dive Rite XTs, my Deep 6 Eddys, and my F2s: 5.5, 4.5, and 3.5 pounds.
All are for my 8-9 foot.

You're the man with the info I need! Would you say the Accel and F2s are similar in function apart from fit? Online info suggests the Accels are right around 3 pounds for the pair. Those and the F2s are just crazy light. I'm considering the Deep 6s as well. Given your experience, for some simple, warm water dives, with a single tank (though including a pretty beefy camera rig) and for someone used to the control and kicks the Jets allow, what would you recommend for a travel fin? I'll obviously need to make sure any fins fit, but first-hand reports are really valuable.

I have the heavy version of these and they're great.
sc901__30121.1436468385.386.513.jpg

• sc901__30121.1436468385.44.58.jpg
SCUBA DIVING FREE DIVE SPEARFISHING BLACK RUBBER FINS W/ SS SPRING HEEL STRAPS
SKU:
SC901/PRT​
*Size:​
  • Large
  • Medium
  • X-Large
*Color:​
  • Black
$58.98
Quantity:
1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Available sizes: Medium, Large, X-Large

- 19" long, foot pocket is around 4" wide
- Stainless Steel Spring Heel strap w/ Red easy-grip heel tab.
- With drain hole on the fins, Neutrally/Positively Buoyant
t

I just removed and weighed one of the spring straps from the fin above and it weighs 6 or 7 ounces (non- digital scale). What ever fin you get, you might want to temporarily switch out the springs for bungies. 4 x 6/7 is at least a pound and a half.

The F2's are incredibly light and perform all kicks exceptionally well. Just don't expect a lot of power with them in moderate or heavy current. For reef cruising they work great.

The F2's are incredibly light and perform all kicks exceptionally well. Just don't expect a lot of power with them in moderate or heavy current. For reef cruising they work great.

Ditto for Accels. Accels come with a rubber strap, it should be a bit lighter than steel spring. I'm not home and I can't give you the exact weight, but around 3 lbs sounds about right for medium.

If you're lucky enough to can find both in a store someplace, you could choose based on the fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom