Scalloping, Scandinavian style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
The king scallop (Pecten maximus) is very popular among divers on the Norwegian coast, perhaps partly since it costs some 5-7 USD apiece in the food store if you want them fresh. It's considered a great delicacy, and it's very common that at least one dive on a week-end club outing is a dedicated scallop dive.

Sometimes you get lucky with the site. This time, the catch was nearly 200 scallops during the first half hour of the dive. For two divers.

Fantastic!!

I used to go scallop hunting/diving when I lived in the Boston area in the Fall. Some dives we got a bagful and some dives nothing. Sometimes we eat the scallops raw while on the boat, they were sweet :)

Thank you for sharing!!

Wow you guys hit the mother load on that one!!! When I go out for scallops its slim pic ins for me, here in southern CAL!!!

One thing for sure is that they are delicious!! I actually prefer them over lobster.
Frank G

Wow you guys hit the mother load on that one!!!
We sure did. One of the great things around here is that there are so few divers that most places where you can find good scallop sites, you can usually pick as much as you need. I've never been on a site so stuffed with them before, though. The reason for taking so many was that we were harvesting for a family arrangement.

Normally I settle for a dozen or two; that's about the maximum amount we can eat if we don't have guests for supper. I don't see any point in harvesting more than I can comfortably eat while the quality is best.

One thing for sure is that they are delicious!! I actually prefer them over lobster.
When I get them like this, directly from the seabed and into the kitchen the same day, there's a limit as to how many I can eat. I'm usually content after about half a dozen, my wife a couple less.They're so sweet and rich that it's easy to overindulge, and I usually use something sharp (like chili, ginger, lemon, wasabi and/or soy sauce) to balance the sweetness. If they're stored a few days in a storage net, they lose some of the rich sweetness and it's easier to eat more.

BTW, if you look at my buddy's gear, that's a very popular configuration around here: Drysuit and recreational doubles (in this case a double 6L 300 bar without an iso valve on the manifold). Long hose optional, however both my buddy on that dive and I prefer a LH/BO config with a 150cm (5') long hose. Even if I only dive open water with a single tank rig.

Last edited:
Around here its just carne asada or hamburgers for my little gatherings, I would say your guest are prettty lucky!!
I did noticed you and or your dive buddy with the dual tank set up, makes total sense when using those lift bags.

This is for sure a nice plus for you guys up in Scandinavia. The scallops in my area are not only less abundant but they really are hard to spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom