Light, but stiff travel fin: Oceanic Accel or Hollis F2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own Hollis F2s and Accels.
I've dived with both fins multiple times.

I also have a digital mailing scale, so here are my results of a single fin on the same weighing device:
F2s: 1 lb. 14 oz.
Accels: 1 lb. 2 oz.

The Accels are incredibly light and compact for travel, and perform better than I first expected. But the foot pocket is strange. I think it has more to do with the shape of the foot pocket rather than it's actual size. So, try them on with your bootie before you buy. I'm not crazy about the rubberband strap, but it seems to work ok in use, and would certainly be easy to change out if you had to. I tried installing after-market spring straps, but it just didn't work well, and added considerably to the weight.

The F2s' construction feels sturdier, and has a more traditional spring strap, hence slightly bulkier than the Accel. Between the two, this fin would be my choice at a location with strong currents, although it still does not have the input-to-output power I'm used to with other fins like the Hollis F1s or jet fins types. I don't understand the advantage of the vents and double-decker channel design, and I wonder if the F2s would have been better with a standard solid blade construction.

So, I like both fins. When I'm traveling super-light and expecting gentle conditions I take the Accels. Otherwise, I'll pack the sturdy F2s.

Last edited:
If you're lucky enough to can find both in a store someplace, you could choose based on the fit.

That's starting to look like the plan. Biggest issue is finding the various sizes for both of us in stock. Going to go hunting this weekend!

I own Hollis F2s and Accels.
I've dived with both fins multiple times.

[...]

So, I like both fins. When I'm traveling super-light and expecting gentle conditions I take the Accels. Otherwise, I'll pack the sturdy F2s.

Great stuff, thanks!

. . .
The F2s' construction feels sturdier, and has a more traditional spring strap, hence slightly bulkier than the Accel. Between the two, this fin would be my choice at a location with strong currents, . . .

Well now I'm really confused. I own F2s, but I have been considering buying Accels to use in stronger currents. I agree with gkrane's comment above that the F2s are just too small and light (mine are size "Regular"--available sizes range from Small to Regular to XL) to handle strong currents. I have always found myself struggling with the F2s in any kind of current. From previous threads, I had been under the impression that the Accels would do better in strong currents than the F2s. Clearly that has not been your experience, and you own both. Again, now I'm really confused.

I used to use the Aeris Velocity 3X - way long and heavy. I now use the Accel. The material is stiff, very light and indestructable. I beat the crap out of my pair doing Eurasian Milfoil remediation. Smashed against re-rod, rocks, you name it. It barely shows as smudges.

I changed over to springs (standard Aeris) and though they are heavier thay are easier for me to get on and off (flexibility limitations).

The pocket is odd. I got the size suggested for my shoe size and thought they sucked. It turned out that the pocket was way too big for my boots and flared at the top - it caught water and made for a lot of drag. Switched to the next size down and problem solved. Order from LeisurePro and fit is guaranteed. You can return and try other sizes with no penalty. They cover shipping both ways till you are satisfied.

The Accel's fit into a carry-on bag. Oh, and I notice no difference in propulsion between the Velocities and the Accels - but the Accels are easier on my legs.

Well now I'm really confused. I own F2s, but I have been considering buying Accels to use in stronger currents. I agree with gkrane's comment above that the F2s are just too small and light (mine are size "Regular"--available sizes range from Small to Regular to XL) to handle strong currents. I have always found myself struggling with the F2s in any kind of current. From previous threads, I had been under the impression that the Accels would do better in strong currents than the F2s. Clearly that has not been your experience, and you own both. Again, now I'm really confused.

I think I can generate a fair amount of propulsion with Accels, but to push enough water with the blades that small takes work. It drives my heart rate and my breathing rate up and my SPG needle would go down fast if I had to do that for any length of time. When I want to kick against a current, I'll get a pair of ARAs.

PS. I've narrow feet and Accels one size down + Merrell ortho inserts in the booties fit me better than about every fin I tried so far. Except FFs, of course: his foot strap is hard to beat.

I've owned both, I have very small feet, 6.5, I could never get s good fit out of the F2s, the foot pocket is huge. The Accels foot pocket is rather large too but once I put some Mares bungee straps on them I was able to get a good fit. Performance wise I found them to be similar with a possible edge for the Accels. The Accels are noticeably lighter than the F2s which are by no means heavy either. I ended up selling both as found both somewhat lacking in any sort of current. For no current travel diving I'd choose the Accels over the F2s. The F2s are of a sturdier construction.

I find the Accels and their standard strap more than adequate for most diving. They would not be my fins choice for heavy current where sustained penetration into the current is needed. Thrust, about the same as a Jet Fin size Large, noticeably less thrust than the Jet XL.

N

Hi James, Yeah, the biggest reason I changed to the mares bungee strap was my attempt at getting a better fit. I found the silicone strap either too tight or too loose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom