Looking for advice on trying a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ten years ago we did a Sea of Cortez liveaboard cruise out of Cabo San Lucas on the Solmar V. It was a gorgeous boat and a fantastic trip, mostly drift diving and recovery via panga skiffs. But they don't seem to do that itinerary anymore, they do shark diving around Socorro and Guadalupe. Too bad, it was a great trip. It was a short flight from the Midwest and Cabo is a beautiful and fun location. And I loved diving with the sea lions!

Last edited:
@BreeAbyss You got me curious; why wouldn't you do a Sea of Cortez trip via live-aboard again? Is it...

1.) You'd rather do it land-based for some reason?
2.) In your experience other options beat the Sea of Cortez as a dive destination?
3.) It was great but you've experienced what it had to offer & once was enough?

I recently noticed Sea of Cortez was a near U.S.A. Pacific Ocean live-aboard option, aside from the Socorros (& of course the white shark diving near Guadalupe), yet I don't hear about Sea of Cortez live-aboards nearly as much. Seems like Cabo San Lucus and Cabo Pulmo land-based get discussed from time to time, but not live-aboard trip reports (or maybe I just missed them...).

Richard.

I think a combo of all those reasons! I would definitely go back and do day trips around Sea of Cortez because I had a good time but just the cost you pay for a liveaboard to me is better spent getting to less accessible places. But another poster was right, we only did a couple days around Sea of Cortez, La Paz area so it would be neat to try out something that toured around more. The water was murky and much colder than I expected but the water hadn't warmed up yet from the winter so it might be better another time of year

According to Liveaboard.com, the page on Mexico, a boat called the Valentina is doing Sea of Cortez exploration trips. Rocio Del Mar hits the Sea of Cortez Midriff Islands, and now that fleet has the Quino el Guardian boat doing the Sea of Cortez.

I'm not familiar with what their trips are like, but the Valentina and Quino el Guardian trips look moderate in price, and the RDM not too bad (compared to, oh, say, a Socorros trip).
Quino is more designed for research operations. Also more moderately priced since it's simply not as nice - most of the cabins are quad-share bunks and the 4 bathrooms are communal. They brought it on-line in the last 18months? or so.
Quino is available for unique private charters, such as Citizen Science programs, exploration to Clipperton Island and the Benito Islands, videography workshops, rebreather diving and teaching kids how to save our oceans.
Valentina is one of the older boats working in Mexico. Nothing wrong with it but the cabins are smaller and double bunks since many of them started out life as fishing or crew boats for the rigs. Valentina is aggressively marketed in Japan so not a lot of those reviews show up here.

There's actually about 3 boats of the same vintage working in Mexico. Technically Solmar V is one also - they cut the crow's nest off it in the past decade or so - it was originally a fishing boat. Club Cantamar has another and the 3rd one burned but I heard it was later rebuilt.

Rocio also dives Socorros for 7 months vs. the 3 summer months in the Sea of Cortez/Midriff Islands trips. So there's less of those to report here. It's a common option in my area - shops book/sell it once a year or so.

Nice thing about those trips is that for U.S. residents it's pretty convenient. You fly into Phoenix and their shuttle picks you up at the airport and takes you directly to the boat. I think they use a lesser known crossing in SW AZ also to expedite getting in/out of Mexico.

Last edited:
The most important thing to bring on a liveaboard is a sense of humor and a generally good, positive attitude. If you're not familiar with boats - much less living on one - here's a few FACTS about boats:

• everything on a boat breaks
  • everything on a boat leaks
  • everything on a boat gets wet
  • nothing on a boat every really dries
  • everything on a boat smells like a boat; where things break, get wet, and never really dry
  • anything that doesn't smell like a boat smells like people who live on a boat
  • everything mechanical on a boat is very loud (until it breaks; then it becomes very quiet)
  • everything non-mechanical on a boat creaks and/or rattles (until it breaks in; then it gets very quiet; that's usually the day before it breaks)
  • everything on a boat is small
  • if something is not small, it's not on the boat
  • if something is not available on the island/mainland, it's not on the boat
  • if something is not on the boat, it's not on the boat
  • if you need something specific but didn't bring it, it's not on the boat
  • even things that are usually on the boat are often not on the boat
  • most things that happen on a boat happen simply "because it's a boat"
A thousandmajor/minor/uncomfortable/disgusting/annoying/inconvenient things can go wrong on a boat over the course of a year. Statistically, that means that 20 of them will happen the week you're on board. You won't notice 15 of them. Will any of the the other 5 things ruin your trip? Honestly - other than a condition which presents a clear and imminent safety or health issue - whether or not something ruins your trip is entirely up to you. I choose to focus on the things like diving that make my trip enjoyable; folks who choose to focus on things that will ruin their trip can always find something that will.

But, as an optimist, keep in mind that you also get to take the good with the bad...
  • everything GOOD that happens on a live-aboard happens "because it's a boat"
  • you're never more than an hour or so from the next dive, the next meal, the next nap, or your first drink - because it's a boat
  • you set your gear up once and don't worry about it again - because it's a boat
  • you're right over the dive site - because it's a boat
  • two hours later you're right over the next dive site - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from your last bite of desert after dinner to your night dive - because it's a boat
  • it's a ten foot walk from your night dive to a hot shower - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from the hot shower to a cold beer - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from the cold beer to your bed - because it's a boat
  • when you wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee and waffles...you're right over the next great dive site - because it's a boat

Thank you. this post makes it very easy to wrap your head around the idea of live aboard diving. lots to consider. (i still want to go)

The best diving in the Turks and Caicos is only available from a liveaboard IMO. You depart from Provo and dive along French Caye and West Caicos.

Beautiful healthy walls, lots of sealife, lots of tarpons, turtles, and spotted eagle rays, and you will see sharks on almost every dive.

The day boats either stay close to Provo where the diving isn't as good, or divers spend much of their day riding in a boat just to dive 2 tanks on the better sites. A liveaboard is really the best way to dive the T&Cs but that's just my opinion.

There are 2 liveaboards that operate in the T&Cs (the Aggressor and the Explorer) and they both have good reputations. I've done the Aggressor and an older Dancer liveaboard in the T&Cs and I had great trips on both.

I did the Saba trip with Explorer and I was very pleased with the boat and the operation so I would happily go on either the T&C Aggressor or Explorer. BTW, the crossing to Saba from St. Martin isn't much fun on a liveaboard either. But I did NOT have an uncomfortable crossing or any problems with seasickness on either of the T&C trips.

However, both of these T&C boats run whale-watching trips to the Silver Banks during the first few months of the year, so they aren't always available as a liveaboard.

Most liveaboards offer different types of suites and since budget isn't an issue, be sure to book the biggest and nicest suite because they offer the most room and comfort.

Most of Cayman's dive sites are available from shore-based operations, the advantage of a liveaboard is that you get to do a lot of dives and you get to dive the best sites off of all 3 Cayman islands - but only if the weather is good. If not, you will be stuck on a boat diving the local sites around Grand Cayman.

Weather is always a factor in a successful dive vacation but even more so with a liveaboard trip. Sometimes it is an advantage because the Captain has more options to seek out the best sites - but when you can't get away from the bad weather you are really stuck.

We did one trip on the Cayman Aggressor and it was wonderful but we had perfect weather all week. It was this trip that first introduced us to diving the Cayman sister islands of Brac and Little Cayman and they have become our preferred Caribbean dive destinations, but we have been doing land-based trips there in recent years.

No one has mentioned Cuba but the Aggressor now operates a liveaboard in that region and will introduce a new boat in 2017. There's supposed to be very good diving around Cuba including great opportunities to dive with sharks if that is of interest.

Heading down toward Central and South America, there are liveaboards that service Cocos Island near Costa Rica and the Galapagos Islands off of Ecuador and they are said to be wonderful trips and geared toward advanced divers, but you might want to try something closer and easier for your first liveaboard trip - just to find out if you really like liveaboard diving - I suggest the T&Cs. Have fun!

Thanks for the great info. I really appreciate it.

The Belize Aggressor is an awesome choice for a first liveaboard. The rooms are tiny but the dive deck is one of the best..... You can dive your own plan and the reef is beautiful. Just skip the Blue Hole... overrated and dangerous.

Sea of Cortez is a great summer option on the Rocio del Mar, but trips do sell out quickly. For the winter the boat head to Socorro Islands (mantas, dolphins, whalesharks, sharks, humpbacks) and those sell out quickly as well.

If you don't ever take a long plane trip to Indonesia, you will be really missing out. But do it after a few local trips because after Indo you won't want to go back.

Thank you. I do plan to visit Indonesia and that part of the world. I just feel that if I want to go to that area I must commit at least 2-3 weeks and I just can't get off from work that long right now. also, I want to start off with a great liveaboard experience before I complicate things by being on the other side of the globe. I was speaking to a friend and he did Palau Aggressor a few years ago and loved it. I hope to see these sites in the next ten years. just can't go now.

Hello all,

I just signed up today and the first thing I would like to learn about is liveaboard diving. I'm an advanced diver and been diving since 1986.

i am interested in learning more about:

best location?
best company?
cost expected? including proper tips and other not included charges (hope for no surprises)
I would travel as a single.
best time of year to go?

any other questions I should be asking that I left out.

Thanks

Jeff

Dear Jeff,

I think we can help you with all your questions about liveaboard diving, as we are a team of dive professionals and we've been doing liveaboard worldwide for many years.

For your question:

best location?
I would like to say there is no so called "best location" in the world, every places have something unique. And it will depends what kind of diving you like? big stuff or macro? cold water or warm water? ....etc.

best company?
As you are from the States, then i guess you are familiar with Aggressor Fleet and Explorer Venture Fleet, they are both excellent company with professional team behind. There are lots of boat companies worldwide, and depends on the destination you choose, some companies might have more experience than others, i will need more detail information about your performance in order to give you the answer.

cost expected? including proper tips and other not included charges (hope for no surprises)
Again, the cost can vary because lots of factors, mainly based on what it costs to run and are set by the boat operations. Normally the difference among each boats are because of : the boat conditions & facilities, the accommodations, the living space, the diving space, the itinerary, the total number of dives, other extras facilities (Nitrox, Tec, Internet, laundry, massage, Jacuzzi.. etc.), additional costs (marine park fees, taxes, fuel surcharge etc.), meals & snacks & drinks, transfer arrangements, other activities besides diving, the total crew number onboard.... And of course, depends on the location (even if it's the same boat based on the same country, if the destination are different, then the price can Be totally different from one to another.

Normally most of the boat will include :
accommodation (most of the boat offer 2 persons in one cabin, if you wish to stay alone in a cabin, then most likely you will have to pay single supplement), meals, coffee, tea, drinking water, diving, dive guide service, 12L tanks, weights, Island visit (depends on the route), land transfer from the airport/local hotel to/from the boat.

Things not included are usually :
All the flights & hotel & visa cost, alcoholic drinks (Some boats do include alcoholic drinks, like Aggressor Fleet), dive equipment rental, Nitrox, marine park& port fees (can be very different from one destination to another, for example : Cocos Island charge 490USD while Maldives charge 0USD), taxes (most of the boats included, but still some exception), Dive insurance, crew tips.

best time of year to go?
Again, it will be depends on where you would like to travel.

I hope this can help you out a bit, for more liveaboard travel advice, you can check out our old blog here : Live-aboard Advice

Happy Dives,

Shueri, Dive and Cruise

Shueri,

Thanks for so much information. Really helps. although some of it is a clear as mud. I guess when I wrote "best" dives, boats, crew, etc. i was asking from the point of view as "most popular". I'm sure people can explain that "nost" people go in a liveaboard in say, Hawaii and not New York. Just the commons sense point of view. as far as you explanation of all of the fees and hidden fees, thanks, spot on. really helpful.

so to dial this in a little better. I travel alone (for now) so single supp. and I'm an advanced diver that can afford a better trip. so I'm not looking for off season and the lowest cost. I would rather go the best time of the year and rearrange my work schedule to get the best dive and best boat and best experience. I don't want to be in a hurricane. (i.e. or go to a place like Cayman during the season where they can't go to Cayman Brac- thanks to all the people that told me about this)

I rent gear. BCD, reg, tank and weights. so I need to find a place that has good gear.

Best Company. people have given the info that most companies are just booking agents and the different boats are independant and you can go with a "good" company and have a good experience on one boat and have a bad experience on a sister ship. So I ask the group, which are the best boats and the ones to stay away from.

Again, thanks for all the info you offer. in the few weeks I have been part of scubaboard I have learned so much that would have taken months or years to learn.

Best Regards,

Jeff

...So I ask the group, which are the best boats and the ones to stay away from...

Have you seen the article at the link below, it may be helpful.

I would avoid the economy liveaboards where you live/sleep dormitory style and have shared bathrooms. Our first liveaboard was a Blackbeards and it was a great bargain (and we couldn't afford much back then!) but I quickly decided I prefer privacy and a little comfort and fresh water showers!

For your first liveaboard dive experience, to give you a chance to check it out and see if you like it, I suggest the Turks and Caicos. Not too far away and some of the best diving in the Caribbean. Lots of beautiful walls, loads of sea life, sharks on just about every dive, and many other large creatures including turtles, morays, spotted eagle rays, and more.

Both the T&C Aggressor and Explorer have excellent reputations so either boat would be a good choice. But remember that they both are not available as dive boats during the early months of the year during the Silver Banks Whale-Watching season.

The main reason for picking T&C is because the best diving is around French Caye and West Caicos and this is only easily available from a liveaboard.

Another reason is that I have done 2 liveaboard trips in the T&Cs and have never gotten seasick because they travel slowly along the keys and don't do a major deep water crossing. You may think that you don't get seasick but you won't know for sure until you do a deep-water crossing. I am usually fine on day boats but the deep water crossings can make me terribly ill.

I think you are just going to have to pick a liveaboard and try it and see if you like it, and remember that weather is always a variable no matter where and when you travel. Buy travel insurance.

How to Pick the Best Liveaboard for Your Next Dive Vacation - ScubaBoard

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom