Dive profiles in roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know what typical profiles look like in Roatan? I'm trying to decide on nitrox or not, and I'm not sure if filling with nitrox would be a problem on any of the dives due to MOD's.

Does anyone know what typical profiles look like in Roatan? I'm trying to decide on nitrox or not, and I'm not sure if filling with nitrox would be a problem on any of the dives due to MOD's.

Roxanne & I dove there with Nitrox all week during the last Invasion to Roatan without any issue. As did many other crew members.

Most of the dives I've made around the west side max out at 90-100 at the wall ( but more typically around 70-80) and then meander up the reef to about 15-20 in the shallows. There are also a couple of standard dives to 110-120.The operators I went with generally did not do an official safety stop because of the extended ascents. Most of the dives were 60-70 minutes. I did have to watch my computer while diving air so Nitrox couldn't hurt on some dives and the deeper dives can be planned for.
I'm off to Cozumel in a couple of weeks to get Nitrox certified and then back to Roatan in October, but I don't plan on using Nitrox there to avoid complications and added expense. I'd like to have Nitrox as an option and to bolster my piddly "Basic Diver" credentials., but have no immediate plans to use it.

Wife & I were in Roatan in May and spent a week at AKR. We dived air and were the first off and last on for most dives and had no NDL issues. There was nothing dive profile wise that would preclude nitrox if you want to dive it for reasons other than extending NDLs. It was mainly wall diving with a few swim-throughs so you had plenty of opportunities to moderate your depth if desired. The dives generally finished with a shallow macro/bug hunt under the boat. Easy peasy, relaxing diving. :cheers:

I remember a few dives that would have benefited being on nitrox but as said, it was typically deep start then work your way up the reef and finish on top with just a few required safety stops. Dive sites are within a few minutes of the docks so the surface interval was easily managed and no issue. Nitrox was included last trip along with a free NASE sponsored cert course (which I took advantage of).

so after re-reading the original ? was about MOD w/ nitrox. We didn't run into any situation where the banked mix would have gotten close to 1.4. With 3 dives/day + 1 night dive (on 2 of the days) there's probably a good reason to pass on paying the extra $ for the nitrox benefit BUT... looking at the overall cost of the trip I can't see why you wouldn't want to spring for the extra. The 2014 trip was $1490/diver - albeit with free nitrox and all rooms being equal cost (water front a/c = hill no a/c). Depending on which room you choose this year, the overall lodging cost is down for all but the premium - in my case ~$550/diver less for the same Hill a/c room I had in '14. Nitrox is looking pretty darn attractive in that light - even with a surcharge it'll be cheaper as a total trip cost then 2014. Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Last edited:
We had a group go this past April. I think about half used nitrox and half the group didn't. I think the ones using nitrox did so not because of the profiles but because they said they "feel better" after the dives. You won't need it in Roatan.

(water front a/c = hill no a/c).
Close but not quite.

Standard rooms anywhere (Hillside, Dock, Cabanas on the Key) are no A/C. Superior includes A/C. And Deluxe is bigger w/AC.
If you look at the pictures, the rooms with shutters are Standard, the rooms with glass windows are Superior. Also the bed counts vary among the rooms for those planning to share with 1-2 others.

From a NDL point of view, yes, Nitrox isn't needed for most if not all the profiles we dove in 2014. I'll check my dive profiles from the last Roatan Invasion tonight and see what's what. I plan on doing all of the 3 daily boat dives, both of the 2 night dives, and maybe put a few shore dives in - so 4 and maybe 5 dives per day. I know I feel less fatigued doing multiple dives when using EAN but that's anecdotal. I'm cheap so don't like paying for not-required things but in this case, especially when looking at what was paid in '14, I'm still ahead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom