now after diving both raja ampat, bunaken, and wakatobi i have to say...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You people are making me feel lazy for taking the easy way out. I've been planning to just go back to Komodo in November, but now if feel guilty for not trying somewhere new to me.

Wetpup, maybe you can let your boss see you watching dive videos at work and get fired. Would save you from quitting.
At least you don't have to go halfway round the Earth to get to Indo.

You people are making me feel lazy for taking the easy way out. I've been planning to just go back to Komodo in November, but now if feel guilty for not trying somewhere new to me.

Wetpup, maybe you can let your boss see you watching dive videos at work and get fired. Would save you from quitting.
At least you don't have to go halfway round the Earth to get to Indo.

Bahahaha! Things I would not get fired for :D

But true on living close to Indo. It's certainly convenient. Spoils you for diving almost anywhere else really.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some pretty mediocre dives in Indo over the years, but it's still my favourite, along with PNG.

I've been to Lembeh twice, Komodo 3 times, Raja Ampat 5 times. So, it's due for checking out other places like Ambon, Banda, The Forgotten Islands, Pulau Weh, and Triton Bay.

I've been to Bunaken, Alor, Cendrawasih Bay & WaKaToBi only once. I think that's enough.

I've been to Nabucco once. Swimming with the stingless jellyfish is interesting, but once is enough for me. However, it is worth going back to see the schooling of thousand barracudas. I will never get tired of seeing them. How to get to the channel is a thrilling sport in itself. Also, there is a site there to see thresher sharks, according to Martin. I have never seen one & I like to do it someday. Seeing the coconut crabs & cat-size fruit bats in Nabucco island are also a thrill. Before going on a 3-hour boat ride from Berau to the Gilligan's island, I mean Nabucco, it's also nice to stop by Balikpapan to visit the Borneo Orangutan Survival sunctuaries to see the endangered orangutan & sun bears.

Of course Bali is the hub, whenever I go to Indonesia. I would always go to Bali & dive there for a few days before island hopping to the other islands. I'd never get tired of Tulamben & Nusa Penida, especially during Mola-Mola season. I'd skip Jakarta if possible.

Last edited:
I've been to Lembeh twice, Komodo 3 times, Raja Ampat 5 times. So, it's due for checking out other places like Ambon, Banda, The Forgotten Islands, Pulau Weh, and Triton Bay.

I've been to Bunaken, Alor, Cendrawasih Bay & WaKaToBi only once. I think that's enough.

I've been to Nabucco once. Swimming with the stingless jellyfish is interesting, but once is enough for me. However, it is worth going back to see the schooling of thousand barracudas. I will never get tired of seeing them. How to get to the channel is a thrilling sport in itself. Also, there is a site there to see thresher sharks, according to Martin. I have never seen one & I like to do it someday. Seeing the coconut crabs & cat-size fruit bats in Nabucco island are also a thrill. Before going on a 3-hour boat ride from Berau to the Gilligan's island, I mean Nabucco, it's also nice to stop by Balikpapan to visit the Borneo Orangutan Survival sunctuaries to see the endangered orangutan & sun bears.

Of course Bali is the hub, whenever I go to Indonesia. I would always go to Bali & dive there for a few days before island hopping to the other islands. I'd never get tired of Tulamben & Nusa Penida, especially during Mola-Mola season. I'd skip Jakarta if possible.

the two coolest places we have dove in indonesia so far is wakatobi and raja ampat. wakatobi is fantastic diving, pretty much most all wall drift dives. wakatobi is spendy though, but worth it IMHO.

I should not watch these things at work...It makes me want to quit and move to Indonesia :p

This is the time of year I daydream of selling the farm and moving to Indo. The wife would divorce me though.

wakatobi is fantastic diving, pretty much most all wall drift dives. wakatobi is spendy though, but worth it IMHO.

I've heard of lower end options besides wakatobi resort, maybe I'll do some research.

I looked at Nabucco after seeing the video, it looks interesting but would cost more than Komodo land based.

the two coolest places we have dove in indonesia so far is wakatobi and raja ampat. wakatobi is fantastic diving, pretty much most all wall drift dives. wakatobi is spendy though, but worth it IMHO.

I was in WaKaToBi resort in 2009 for 11 days. Nice resort. The diving is average to me. I saw better stuff for half the price. I saw no manta, nor schooling barracudas or jackfish.

I still like Lembeh the best. It's the most consistent dive spot I've visited anywhere.

....I looked at Nabucco after seeing the video, it looks interesting but would cost more than Komodo land based.

Nabucco Island Resort is half the price & twice the fun than WaKaToBi Resort to me.

Nabucco Island Resort is half the price & twice the fun than WaKaToBi Resort to me.

But no manta and I can do land based for less $. So I think I might bite the bullet and go back to Komodo. Then again maybe I should stretch my horizons and go to Alor? I wish there was a budget operation that I was completely satisfied with in Ambon. It's got great macro and I haven't even checked out any of its wide angle sites. Or damn maybe I should check out Banka then head to Komodo?

That's the thing with Indonesia so many choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom