now after diving both raja ampat, bunaken, and wakatobi i have to say...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ambon is good, but...We found some pretty strong currents there, and it made macro photography very difficult. Maybe we just had bad luck, but when I visit somewhere specifically to do macro and supermacro, strong ripping currents are not particularly welcome. The wide angle in Ambon was ok, but nothing to really write home about.

I must be the only one here who doesn't like Komodo :p

Ambon is good, but...We found some pretty strong currents there, and it made macro photography very difficult. Maybe we just had bad luck, but when I visit somewhere specifically to do macro and supermacro, strong ripping currents are not particularly welcome. The wide angle in Ambon was ok, but nothing to really write home about.

I must be the only one here who doesn't like Komodo :p

when I was there there was some current issues also. We ended up sitting and waiting and waiting till the current ebbed to do our second dive. If I would go back I'd schedule with the moon to alleviate the current issue.

I can't believe you don't like Komodo? Why?

when I was there there was some current issues also. We ended up sitting and waiting and waiting till the current ebbed to do our second dive. If I would go back I'd schedule with the moon to alleviate the current issue.

I can't believe you don't like Komodo? Why?

Task overloading. I like taking photos, it's a large part of why I dive in the first place. While I think the marine life in Komodo is amazing, I found the conditions required a style of diving that I simply didn't enjoy when carrying a big camera setup. I think if I wasn't carrying a big camera with me, I might enjoy it more.

image.jpeg
But no manta and I can do land based for less $. So I think I might bite the bullet and go back to Komodo. Then again maybe I should stretch my horizons and go to Alor? I wish there was a budget operation that I was completely satisfied with in Ambon. It's got great macro and I haven't even checked out any of its wide angle sites. Or damn maybe I should check out Banka then head to Komodo?

That's the thing with Indonesia so many choices.

Yes there is. You need to take an hour boat ride to Sangalaki.

I rather spend time in Tulamben than going to Alor. It is a bit cumbersome to go to Alor. You need to fly from Denpasar to Kupang & then to Alor with unreliable domestic airlines. Other than Rhinopias and a site with anemones everywhere, the underwater scene is pretty average.

Bangka is quite interesting place. I saw several yellow variation of Bargibanti Pygmy seahorses there. One DM was messing around with his pointer in one of the sea fan then made a big bubbly laugh & showed me what he just did. He made 2 Bargibanti Pymy seahorses to kiss each other. I took the picture of them kissing :D

View attachment 378410

Yes there is. You need to take an hour boat ride to Sangalaki.

I rather spend time in Tulamben than going to Alor. It is a bit cumbersome to go to Alor. You need to fly from Denpasar to Kupang & then to Alor with unreliable domestic airlines. Other than Rhinopias and a site with anemones everywhere, the underwater scene is pretty average.

Bangka is quite interesting place. I saw several yellow variation of Bargibanti Pygmy seahorses there. One DM was messing around with his pointer in one of the sea fan then made a big bubbly laugh & showed me what he just did. He made 2 Bargibanti Pymy seahorses to kiss each other. I took the picture of them kissing :D

nice pic. we only saw a few pygmy sea horseses on last trip to indonesia.

Totally agree with @Dan_T Wakatobi is pretty meh compared to most places in Indo.

@WetPup I love Komodo but you are right... my hands can get pretty tired trying to hold the SLR in a strong current, but as you know current means tons of fish and critters!!! I think my only complaint about Komodo is the amount of boats there, especially the day boats that drop their divers in crazy situations. but alas I am going back in 2 weeks!!!

nice pic. we only saw a few pygmy sea horseses on last trip to indonesia.

Thanks. That's an easy one. I still haven't been able to take a good picture of the smallest Pygmy, Pontohi. Even worst, a hairy shrimp, which requires sharp eyes, steady hand, high shutter speed & pin point accuracy on the focus, all good photographer attributes & DSLR camera qualities that I don't have.

Thanks. That's an easy one. I still haven't been able to take a good picture of the smallest Pygmy, Pontohi. Even worst, a hairy shrimp, which requires sharp eyes, steady hand, high shutter speed & pin point accuracy on the focus, all good photographer attributes & DSLR camera qualities that I don't have.
Oh man Pontohi! They are always flapping back and forth. I'm with you on dslr my s95 can't get a decent focus on a hairy shrimp. I'm currently buying a sl1 and hopefully I'll be able to get a decent focus on a hairy shrimp or skeleton shrimp.

I was in WaKaToBi resort in 2009 for 11 days. Nice resort. The diving is average to me. I saw better stuff for half the price. I saw no manta, nor schooling barracudas or jackfish.

saw one of these badboys last time in wakatobi. very cool.
P7203259-adj-small-trim.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom