BCD for new guy:)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, looking for my first bcd (include traveling)...as I done OWD in Aqualung equipment close choices to two BCDs:
- Aqualung Pro HD
- Seac Sub Smart

Any opinions which better? Or maybe I miss some good ones I dont know about?
Any help welcome:)
I have similar experience to you and I went straight to the BP&W system after doing my OW.

Why?
More comfortable - no where near ass constrictive as a jacket type
No adjustment needed (after the initial set up) - I can pick it up, don it and be in the water in about 1 minute because I don't need to put a cumberbund round, then the belt then tightening all those up. It always feels the exact same on because it always is the exact same on.
More secure - the crotch strap holds the harness down in place. The setup actually feels part of you in the water.
Less weight required - the plate allows you to remove weight from your belt

My only tip would be to try to find someone that is experienced in using a BP&W to help you set it up - it makes it quicker and easier.

You know, I've been diving for quite a few years, and I think I've gone through 3 or 4 different manufacturers of BC's. First, whatever BC you get, it has to be comfortable to YOU...not the sales person...not your dive instructor... YOU! Second, you can get BC's with all kinds of D-rings and loops and hooks for this and that...but will the average diver truly going to use all that? You want to go with a BC that is functional, comfortable, light and easy to use. Remember, the whole point of diving is to ENJOY YOURSELF...not get caught up in fumbling with a BC at depth. I happened upon a ScubaPro PILOT BC as a rental on a cruise dive. I was skeptical because it was so minimal, and because it does not have integrated weights, I had to wear a old-fashioned "Sea Hunt" type weight belt. But I have to tell you, after the expensive BC's I've had (and have), integrated with this and that...using that ScubaPro PILOT enabled me to concentrate on ENJOYING the scuba experience, rather than focusing on how much equipment I could pile onto my BC. It's light, works great, very comfortable, easy to get in/out of, and has HUGE pockets for "stuff"...I was so impressed, I bought one when I got home and use that all the time now. It's so easy to get caught up in all the new scuba equipment and spend HUGE amounts of money. And some of the new equipment is outstanding. But if you just want to enjoy some scuba diving while you are travelling, or even at your favorite dive spot, I highly recommend you try the ScubaPro PILOT. For $350, you can have a wonderful piece of dive equipment that will serve you well for many years...try beating that price for some of the other BC's out there!

I'd be totally open to trying a BP/W if someone had one that I could demo that were similar to me in size.

Luckily, my LDS lets you demo all of their BCs that they carry -- not just rentals -- in the pool. Pretty awesome!

a bpw harness can be sized to fit anyone from a child to The Mountain. only issue is if you are really short or tall and need a non-standard length plate.

I don't know Seac at all but that seems to be a much less expensive model than the Aqualung so hard to compare.

I'll state up-front I"m not a fan of Jacket-style BC's. Most of us learned on one since they're easy for shops to stock in their rental fleet since they fit most, can be easily weighted and will float people vertically at the surface since the air surrounds the diver.

For diving, IMO they're a compromise - notice that just about every person in this thread so far has posted about a back-inflate design - the reason is they trim out better for actual diving since the air is completely on your back and the weight is below it when in a horizontal dive position. Also as you read more here you'll see references to "controlling the bubble" or similar terms when discussing buoyancy - back inflate does that better since the air can't move to your front when changing positions.

Other models similar to the Pro HD you might consider are the Aqualung Dimension, the Scubapro Seahawk mentioned above or the Scubapro Knighthawk. For strictly warm water travel diving, the Aqualung Zuma or the Scubapro Litehawk also - they're less feature-laden, have less lift but are built to the same quality. For local diving in your area with a thick wetsuit and a lot of lead they probably don't have enough lift. Or even big enough pockets to store it.

If you have access to a Zeagle dealer also, they sell a full range of options. I often compare their Ranger to the Knighthawk - they're pretty similar in features/capacity. BCs

If it's not too late, I like my Aqua Lung Zuma. I only do warm water diving, and I don't wear a wet suit while diving. If you need more than 16 pounds of weights to get down, you might want to get a pocket to go on the tank strap. The BCD is easy to pack, and is lightweight. Enjoy your diving!

I like the old style jacket BCD because it fits tight with absolutely no shift in the tank position and air is distributed evenly in the bladder. I take my buoyancy control and trim seriously and the jacket style works for me. I use a $200. Mares Rover.
What me worry?

After getting our OW we watched the classifieds and got used equipment BC's. They worked great (just a little big) until we went on a good diet and both lost 40 lbs. then the BC's were way too big. I had been thinking about back plate n wings so I called Tobin (deep sea supply).

We got new back plates and wings for both of us. My wife wasn't completely sold on them until we did our first ocean dive then she loves it!!!! Lots more freedom in the water not being constructed.

Have fun...

OP

Dont rush into getting gear. spend time trying thing's out. Find someone that can expose you to the various options. Some one that can show you teh basics and important qualities of gear adn not what is on the shelf that has to get sold by a shop. You need to buy for you and not others. I am a BPW die hard fan, If you are new then go to a bpw form the start. It is the cheapest in the long run and adjustable for you in more ways than you can imagine. You will never find a BCD that will function like a properly fitting BPW. Same goes for computers fins suits ect.

Back
Top Bottom