Recommendations for new boots, +/- fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laikabear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a set of 6.5 mm Aqualung booties that have started to fall apart. First, the glue started to fail in multiple places (a couple of months ago), and now some of the stitching on edge is tearing and they are getting holes. They have 80 dives on them over the past 10 months and I take good care of them. I don't step on the heel to remove them, but that's not where the wear is anyway. Is this typical for length of time these last? It seems like a short lifespan to me. Regardless, I'm in the market for new booties, if anyone has any recs for something more robust.

I have 2 pairs of fins, one Sherwood and one set of Jetfins. The Sherwoods were my original fins and I like them. They are light and comfortable. The Jetfins are smaller but heavier. I sure love how much power they generate, but they are terrible on my feet. The edge of the foot pocket really pinches across the top of my foot. After an hour dive today I have a bruised line across the top of my feet. That's not cool. :( They are XL fins, I don't know the size or brand of the spring straps as an instructor ordered them for me. I wear a men's size 9.5 shoe. I was considering sizing up on the spring straps, but the instructor said that if I get any larger size spring straps, they will be too loose.

I wonder if I can get a pair of boots that will make the Jetfins more comfortable... That would be ideal... Or, has anyone used Jetfins and had that particular problem, and found a different brand (but a similar fin) to be more comfortable? I like the Sherwoods, especially for travel, but they definitely lack the oomph of the Jets, and of course are not GUE Ninja-approved.

Speaking of not cool, what is up with these new SB ads that are auto-playing videos you can't turn off? UGH. They really slow the site down and I can't STAND auto-playing videos. They always startle the crap out of me.

I was even considering just cutting out a little U-shape on the top of the foot pocket on the Jets right where they pinch, but I assume that would damage their integrity and maybe make them fall apart. If anyone knows different, please say so.

Have you tried scuba socks?

I like booties for shore diving and so I can walk around boats without going barefoot, and for climbing ladders. Come to think of it, I know very few divers that do NOT have booties. I have had to go through a few pairs to find what I really like.

- Bill

Here's a little better deal from scuba.com in Ivine CA.
XS Scuba Power Fins
Retail:
$110.00
You Pay:
$90.46

You Save:
$19.54

XS-Scuba-Power-Fins-Big-1.jpg

Last edited:
I hate the foot pocket on my Jets. The Power Fins are totally comfortable. They're like Anti-Jets......... from a parallel universe.

I think these are meant to be more or less clones of the Jet fins. I don't know if they'd be any more comfortable or not. But, they're only $69. And DGX would give you a refund if you put them on and found them uncomfortable.

DGX Classic Fins | Dive Gear Express®

I would think that one thing you need to consider is the buoyancy of the fins you're using and whether you want new fins to be similar buoyancy. I think (but I don't know) that Jet fins are pretty negative. I know that some Jet fin clones (e.g. the OMS Slipstream) are neutral. If your trim is good with negative fins, then going to neutral fins might make your feet pretty floaty.

Fins that are good and that are also negative are the Hollis F1 fins. I do have these. My feet have always been totally comfortable in my F1s. Never a bruise or even a red mark on my feet from the F1s. I only use these with my dry suit, as they are too negative for me with a wet suit.

With a wet suit, I use neutral fins. Atomic Blades. I like them even better than the F1s. I feel like they give me more power and work better for technical kicks, too. They are also completely comfortable. No bruises or even red marks. And that's with 5mm boots.

For wetsuit diving, try the F1LT's from Hollis. They're less heavy than Jetfins, F1's, etc., but offer great power and control. Comfy foot pocket, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom