Bali or Wakatobi or Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Bali and Komodo in May. We did land based and a liveaboard in Komodo. I would recommend a liveaboard. You get twice as much diving for half the effort. We enjoyed the final few days being land based as we were tired and needed to wind down a bit, but the liveaboard was very good.

The currents need consideration, but one of the group sharing a guide with us had only 14 dives at the start. The currents were not a problem for her, although was young and fit and able to learn quickly.
Where did you stay for your Komodo land portion, please?

Where did you stay for your Komodo land portion, please?
Komodo Resort - Diving Club

It was nice. The rooms are huts with air con, an attached bathroom and a big balcony overlooking the sea. Reasonable food, a bar and places to lounge on the beach. They have a couple of large boat taking maybe 16 divers each. It is run by an Italian. It seems to have been built only a few years ago so everything is fresh.

We went following a friend's recommendation and I would go again.

We have not been to Wakatobi , but have been to Bali several times and Komodo once on a LoB. We also did Raja Ampat on a LOB. I preferred Komodo , but my hubby preferred Raja Ampat.....but both were awesome. We also love Bali. There were some strong currents on three or four of the dives on the Komodo LoB , but nothing we couldn't cope with. The reefs , masses of marine life and beautiful top sides made these two trips the stuff diving dreams are made of.

You will have an amazing time.

Best fishes xx

Last edited:
I spent 2-3 X the cost of what I spent on the Komodo LOB for a 10-day stay in WaKaToBi Resort. The resort is nice, seeing some of the little critters & fishes, but didn't see any big fish, nor a manta either. My wild guess is the local could have fished / bombed them out, even though the resort paid (rent the local surrounding coral) to prevent the coral destruction. So once is enough for me.

In Komodo you see everything, including experiencing a cool fast-current, shallow drift diving in a dive site called "shotgun" in Gili Lawa.

Personally I like Raja Ampat (RA) better. I've been in RA 5x compared to Komodo 3x. I'll come back to RA for the 6th time next year.

Last edited:
Agree. Been to all 3. Yeah Wakatobi is no longer worth it for the price though it is good. I love Komodo so much we are going for a 3rd time next year. Bali diving is on but Komodo is better. Someone above recommended a few days in Bali for culture and go to Komodo. If you go the Bali only route check out the Gili Trawangan or its sister islands.

I spent 2-3 X the cost of what I spent on the Komodo LOB for a 10-day stay in WaKaToBi Resort. The resort is nice, seeing some of the little critters & fishes, but didn't see any big fish, nor a manta either. My wild guess is the local could have fished / bombed them out, even though the resort paid (rent the local surrounding coral) to prevent the coral destruction. So once is enough for me.

In Komodo you see everything, including experiencing a cool fast-current, shallow drift diving in a dive site called "shotgun" in Gili Lawa.

Personally I like Raja Ampat (RA) better. I've been in RA 5x compared to Komodo 3x. I'll come back to RA for the 6th time next year.
i have never seen a mola mola UW.looked for them i did.

DanT, how do you do Raja Ampat? Land or lob? And which resort/lob do you use?

I've been on both. LOB 2x. Resort 3x. In Jan 2010 went to Misool with Grand Komodo LOB. In Nov 2010 went to Mansuar & stayed in Raja Ampat Dive Lodge. In Apr 2013 went to Misool & stayed in Misool Eco Resort. In Dec 2015 went on 12-day ultimate Raja Ampat (Misool, Fam, Wayag, Gam, Dampier strait) with La Galigo LOB. In May 2016 went to Pulau Pef & stayed in Raja4 Divers Resort. I'm writing trip report of this last trip & may post it in a week.

I like the last LOB trip with La Galigo a lot & I'm chartering it for my next trip, crossing from Ambon to Sorong, passing Banda see (to see schooling of hammerhead sharks) and Raja Ampat, as posted here: One space on La Galigo Liveaboard to Banda & Raja Ampat in Nov 2017 with 15% discount

Check out the schooling of hammerhead sharks in Banda sea, here:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom