Taveuni or Roatan/Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Please help me decide. I'm looking for marine life. I know one is way more expensive than the other. That's not important. Just looking for the best diving experience. It's either Roatan/Belize on a Cruise or Fiji with a dive club. I've been to Coz, is Belize and Roatan similar. I know Taveuni is drift diving, is Roatan/Belize as well?

The diving in Fiji is in a different class than diving in the Caribbean, you can't compare the two :)

Fiji is FAR superior to Roatan/Belize (I have been to all of them).

I'm a little surprised you're comparing a cruise stop with a dive club trip; I'd think you'd get 2 tanks one day on the cruise, vs. a lot more diving on a dive club trip.

I like cruises & love dive trips; they tend to be very different experiences (even if you dive some on a cruise).

Richard.

I have dived around Taveuni (Somosomo straights) and other sites in the area. I have dived Cozumel alot but not Belize or Roatan. I do know of those that have dived Belize and they say it is similar to Cozumel in coral and fish type. Regardless of the (small) differences between those and Cozumel/Caribbean, Taveuni Fiji in my opinion has much better diving. I have not seen in the Caribbean the number of fish, soft corals, hard corals, and walls to name a few, that exist in Fiji/Taveuni. If cost is not an issue then Taveuni wins hands down.
Taveuni area will have some current but also surge (Somosomo white wall and around the islands close to the shore). It was all live boat drift diving. Some sites though had low current. My favorites there are Yellow wall and Noels wall but from Taveuni it will be a long boat trip but the walls are fantastic.

You just won't see this in the Caribbean
full

full

ANYTIME you have a chance to dive the S Pacific vs the Caribbean-------DO IT!!!!.........There's a reason there are twice as many species of fish in the S Pacific vs the Caribbean ......take a look........:......
(count em if you don't believe ole Florent......)....Florent's Guide To The Tropical Reefs - Fish, Creatures and Corals

Diving the S Pacific is like diving the Caribbean on mega-steroids......:).......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom