Diving Mikomoto on Izu Peninsula?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rocketfodder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see there are a couple really old threads about diving there. Has anyone been recently? A friend and I are going to try to dive there the first week of September. Was wondering if anyone had tips/suggestions/etc.

I go there every year and was there two weekends ago.
I have dived with most of the shops there. But most shops require some Japanese skills. PM me if you need more information. 290.jp is one of most famous one.

How was the trip to Mikomoto? I am looking to go this month but don't have any info. Who did you go with?

Alfawolfje who do you recommend? I live in Tokyo but my Japanse is still not good.

We got kinda skunked with the diving. We dove with Mikomoto Hammers. The other local option is 290jp.

We saw hammers on 3 of 10 dives, but with bad viz and only fleeting glimpses. Perhaps it was because of the typhoon that blew through, which cancelled our last day of diving.

Either of those shops would be able to accommodate you. My friend speaks some Japanese, but I spoke none, and there were several English-speaking guides. The boat was insanely crowded, though. Maybe that's just normal for Japan, I've never dove there before.

We got kinda skunked with the diving. We dove with Mikomoto Hammers. The other local option is 290jp.

We saw hammers on 3 of 10 dives, but with bad viz and only fleeting glimpses. Perhaps it was because of the typhoon that blew through, which cancelled our last day of diving.

Either of those shops would be able to accommodate you. My friend speaks some Japanese, but I spoke none, and there were several English-speaking guides. The boat was insanely crowded, though. Maybe that's just normal for Japan, I've never dove there before.

None of that sounds unfamiliar. The Hammers migrate through the area and are more often not seen than seen.... good luck and timing.
Visibility was insanely good end of August but has been worse for last week(s).

Thanks for the info. Didn't see either of these dive shops on Google. I guess the bed weather didn't help the visibility.

I supposed for the hammerheads 3 of 10 is not horrible :)

How is the water temperature? Can I dive in a 5mm wet suit in October / early November?

We will dive the Xmas tree at IOP end November, so it's doable.

Always depends on personal comfort. At that time of year it's more about air temperature dropping versus water temps.

Cool. Will consider it once I get my regs fixed. I prefer warm waters and wetsuits :) in the worst case next summer!

How was the trip to Mikomoto? I am looking to go this month but don't have any info. Who did you go with?

Alfawolfje who do you recommend? I live in Tokyo but my Japanse is still not go

Alfawolfje who do you recommend? I live in Tokyo but my Japanse is still not good.

Hi, If you are interested in Hammerhead sharks, it's too late. The period is from June to September. You should try to go to Mikomoto next year with English a speaking staff. There are a couple of diving services around Tokyo with English speaking DMs.

Hope you enjoy Japan underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom